1.4 changes unacceptable

Hi All

my understanding is that the 1.4 framework uses a different Smarty templating system and several structural changes to the code meaning that any 1.3 themes will require major alterations to work with a 1.4 install. This is crazy. The upshot is a large percentage of users will not be able to upgrade. Most people that have modified templates will not be able to just upgrade the template from a provider as the customization will require significant code changes.

At minimum a full upgrade explanation and path should be provided before 1.4 is released. Nothing seems to be provided yet, so how can people prepare (even if they're pro's).

Mad and very unprofessional. Wordpress is easily upgradable (usually automatic) and even upgrade of themes to wp3 was trivial.

It seems to me this is incredibly unprofessional and will seriously harm the uptake of Prestashop with web agencies. We will certainly review our policy of using Prestashop for small/medium sized ecommerce sites.

Am I wrong?

Nigel

You have missed the point almost completely. First, Smarty version is not only issue. CSS has been split up etc etc. Also Smarty 2 will not be supported at 1.5 at all. People need to prepare for changes, where is the info required? When a stable final release version of 1.4 is available people will not have been able to update themes. Sites will not work. As a development agency we can't have that happen to clients. Basic good practice. Be professional guys, the amateur days have gone......

"Sites will not work" - but only when u update - with new functionalities comes new difficulties ;) If the shop works - why update, if u wanna update - gotta put some work in it. And trust me - very complex sites put on Wordpress when it came to update from 2.x to 3.x sometiems had to be recoded.

CSS split up? When one codes theme he can code CSS from scrach :)

As for the info... there never was much info about the core of presta nor creating themes, only what people put into the web.

Nice to get the discussion flowing. I really wanted to float this point to see what people think.

Surely we have to be careful not to think of what we, as designers/developers, can do, but about basic usability and upgradability. One of the criticisms of Wordpress has been the variable quality of plugins and sites breaking when you upgrade them. Yes 2.x to 3.x had some issues and I still maintain a site that we will need to work on to get usable for 3.x. But these are nothing compared to my understanding (obviously with little or no info from the Prestashop team, because they haven't provided any!!) of the issues that will be faced to make compatible (in a full sense - i.e. so we/clients can use new features and the sites stay 'secure') with Prestashop.

Clients expect software to be easily upgradable. They don't want to pay for lots of developer time to do it.

Lots of people won't want to or be able to upgrade and that's crazy to me and surely to anyone trying to be professional and provide a professional product and service........

Forgive me but isn't prestashop an 'open source' soloution? Why would anyone 'expect' the same kind of support you get when you purchase commercial ecommerce software to that compared to when you have downloaded open source free software? I'm sure that ll the developers who have devoted their own time to this project understand the needs of the client but they have limited rescources and money to enable them to launch an upgrade without a few hicups and lack of pre-release info for agents. It seems to me that in order for Prestashop to move forwards some big changes in code and stucture have to take place and if this means that I will have to alter my template files for the sake of growing my business then so be it.

After having a look around at other alternatives recently and having a nervous breakdown testing Magento, I have come to conclusion that Prestashop still remains the best open souce platform out there.

Fair points. Yes open source, but not a charitable organization, just the business model is different to adobe, Microsoft etc.
I'm all for improving the product, there are many areas where it needs it, all seems very haphazard and without project management and planning.....

Fair points. Yes open source, but not a charitable organization, just the business model is different to adobe, Microsoft etc.
I'm all for improving the product, there are many areas where it needs it, all seems very haphazard and without project management and planning.....

I agree with your post.
I think they chose not to disclose their update system.
But it really harms prestashop since every stable releases break the previous ones...

Why have a MVC design if the view part break each time you update controllers...