Moving from Opencart

OC2PS

I have been using Opencart for 2 years now, and now that the development of that cart seems in doldrums, in spite of an oft-promised revamped v 1.5.0, I am looking to move to a suitable solution.

I must say that I am fairly impressed with the feature list of Prestashop. Are all the features listed at http://www.prestashop.com/en/allfeatures/ part of the core?

One of the reasons that makes me ask is that add-on modules are typically quite expensive. Since I've been using several open source software (Opencart, Wordpress, phpbb, SMF, etc) for a while which have a very rich selection of free extensions and when the extensions are commercial, they are "reasonably" priced. By comparison, most PS extensions seem (pardon the expression) obscenely priced, considering that the core offering is GPL. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying for additional, esp. custom functionality, but seems like even tiny tweaks are priced at $50 and above in the PS add-ons store. Is this observation correct or do I have a completely warped world view?

Finally, if there are others on these forums that have moved from OC to PS, please can you share some insights? What made you move, what important things to keep in mind, what challenges you faced, how did you migrate the data, etc...

the features are part of presta core. I too think the addons are a little expensive but they need to support their work after all.
trying to help searching a solution for migration I saw this website: shopping-cart-migration.com

• 1 year later...

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying for additional, esp. custom functionality, but seems like even tiny tweaks are priced at $50 and above in the PS add-ons store. Is this observation correct or do I have a completely warped world view?

No, you are right. In prestashop addons store all modules have a minimal price of 30€ or 50$, so all developers must stick to that. In a way is OK, because only real useful and quality modules do enter there, but it is always reccommended for you to look on the developers own website also, as price might be (much) lower there!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It was almost 3 years ago, when starter wrote his post. Opencart has grown, and has a lot of extensions.

Can anyone shad a light on current situation? Does it make a sense to move from opencart to prestashop, if I want to have more features for my shop in general?

well,

if you need more features, you should use prestashop.

before i also used open cart and sometimes magento, but i left these scripts for prestashop - especially due to the flexibility and still growing community. it was gook choice (from my point of view)