Problem with upgrade from 1.6.20 to 17.4

I just tried to update from 1.6.20 to 1.7.4+. I updated my 1-click update. It seemed to work fine. I opened the Dashboard which look fine. They when I opened my store page, everything was jumbled. I went back to the Dashboard, tried to click on my Modules and NOTHING WAS THERE.  Got The server returned a "500 Internal Server Error". 

Clicked on Customers got ACCESS DENIED. I can't edit anything. I tried to role back to my older version and NOTHING WAS THERE. It doesn't show me any data base available. I am out of business! I have to go off line until I recreate my entire store? What is going on here? I need help. 

Not sure what you did, but the 1.6+ modules and theme are not compatible with 1.7+.

The theme you should see in FO is the Classic theme as for the module, if you have BO access, disable all third party modules, all that are not made by Prestashop.

Contact your vendors to get the 1.7+ compatible versions and use those.

Also make sure you have everything as explained here, https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/884856-best-server-settings-for-prestashop-17-tested-in-production/

I have BO access to SOME of it. When I click on Customers, it errors out. It says access denied. Catalog seems to be OK. Clicking on modules and services gives me a 500 internal server error. I have no access to any modules. I can't modify anything. Everything gives me the 500 internal server error. I am a novice at this so I have no idea how to fix this. Since I can't roll anything back, I am stuck here. My store is off line because I can't conduct business.

You will most likely run into more problems after solving this, Billd11. That was also my first. Let me show you my problems/solutions upgrading PrestaShop from 1.6.1.6 to 1.7.4.3 recently.

The reason to upgrade was simple. I am urged to do so by my hosting provider because PHP 5.6 is at its end of the lifecycle. That said, every customer of One.com will experience a switch to PHP 7.2 by the end of the year. Since I was sure PrestaShop 1.6 would probably not survive the switch, I tried to move early, in case something goes wrong. Also, well you guessed it, something went wrong.

I made a full backup of files and database, as recommended, but I couldn't even upgrade via 1-Click-Upgrade on my live server. My workaround solution was to set up a local environment with XAMPP running on PHP 5.6 instead. It was pretty straightforward. Changing the database connection in '/config/settings.inc.php' and edit a few store URLs in the database.

'PS_SHOP_DOMAIN' and 'PS_SHOP_DOMAIN_SLL' in table 'ps_configuration', as well as 'domain' and 'domain_ssl' in table 'ps_shop_url'. Moreover, if you previously ran on SSL / SSL everywhere, you should probably search these fields in the config table, too, and set them to 0 in the meantime. After getting back into the admin section on the local server, I was able to perform the 1-Click-Update to PS 1.7.4.3, apparently successfully. Well, I faced several issues from there.

No. 1: Admin permission issues
I wasn't able to view customers nor orders, 'permission denied.' I solved it by replacing the 'ps_access' table in the database entirely, with a clean one from another clean install of 1.7.4.3 I had to perform to grab it.

No. 2: Module updating issues
Fatal errors occurred while trying to update 36-37 outdated modules. First I thought a class was missing, because of the error message, but PrestaShop told me all files were there. Reset all modules one by one did the trick.

No. 3: 500 server error with debug mode off
When I finally decided to turn the debug mode off, I was surprised that the shop wouldn't work as expected. I couldn't access certain areas at all anymore. I solved this by deleting the 'var/cache' folder entirely.

No. 4: Products changes not saved
This one has a backstory since I increased the meta description length in PrestaShop 1.6 to 320 possible characters. To my surprise, the 'meta_description' field in the database in table 'ps_product_lang' remained at 'varchar(320)'. I had to because 50-300 characters are recommended.

The fix was in 'classes/Product.php,' where I looked for the '$meta_description' validation lines, as well as in 'src/PrestaShopBundle/Form/Admin/Product/ProductSeo.php' for the counter in the form field. I increased the value limits to 320 each, which let me save my products again without having to shorten anything.

After turning off maintenance, another error occurred.

No. 5: Product images are not showing
Thumbnails were available in the back office product catalog, so I knew the product images were there, but in product edit mode, the images were missing as well. I thought It'd clear with rebuilding images/thumbnails, but it didn't. In the end, the fix was simple, but you need to know where to look. Disabling SEO friendly URLs, and re-enabling it, did the trick. Don't forget to clear browser cache after, or you might run into server errors which are caused by the changes and .htaccess caching.

After that, some expected cosmetic changes were necessary, because the product description was in such a narrow column in 1.7 'classic' theme, that I had to make the column wider again. That was quickly done, however, as templating is much more comfortable in PS 1.7.

Previously created slides needed new uploads of their respective background images in a new, full-width format. The three sample slides were removed, as well as the '20% off on clothes' default block on the home page before the footer.

There seems to be a general design flaw with the option "only available online," as it floats anywhere, even beyond blocks, looking like it's glitching and not well taken care of/neglected by the designers. I removed the check mark from every product, so I don't have to deal with it for now.

Double-checking prices and tax settings is necessary, as well as quickly revisiting email templates and payment module options and settings.

After that, everything went like a charm, like it's supposed to. By transferring everything back and switching to a new database, previously set up with the backup from my local environment, and making changes back to the live shop URLs and SSL settings, I now run my store on the newest version. I switched to PHP 7.2, and there are no errors to be afraid of anymore.

If you want to swap files into your root on the live server, I recommend transferring everything except the index.php and .htaccess file first and make a static copy as PHP file of your current shop maintenance page beforehand. Don't forget to set the status code to 503 via PHP to signal the crawlers in a proper way that they should come back later. That way no errors will show during transfer, and you retain 503 at all times.

When you are ready with all files and database changes, you can then transfer the 'index.php' and '.htaccess' to your root directory to go live (or real maintenance mode again, if you chose so.)

Cheers

• Like 2

Since I could not find a way to make anything work after I moved from 1.6.2 to 1.7.4.3, I started all over again. I did a fresh download of 1.7.4. which created an entirely new database. This means I basically lost everything. I have no customers, no merchandise, no nothing. If anyone knows how to link my old database so it actually works. I would be grateful.

With the new version, I seem to have access to everything in the Back office except the modules. Every time I hit Modules & Services, I get a 500 server error. That means, I can't do anything with modules. I can't install or edit them. Without them, I have no shipping, payment and can't change the anything on the site. I have no clue what I am doing. I am not a programmer and this is supposed to be a brand new install.

I have just spent over an hour with my hosting company. They couldn't fix the 500 server error, I got when I tried to access the modules after installing 1.7.4.3 My business has been shut down for 5 days. They are now doing a restore hoping I can get back to my 1.6.22 version and move forward. I am NOT happy. If this doesn't work, I will be looking for a different online store software because PrestaShop obviously doesn't have it's act together. I am not a programmer and I have no idea how to fix this. 

Here is an upgrade to me problem. I was able to access the Modules and services area by using the debug mod. Not sure why. I was able to see that modules and configure them. However I didn't see Paypal and the Payment method modes. When I clicked on the src/Core/Foundation/IoC/Container.php. Problem starts in line 111 and leads to a series of errors on various files. Since I have no idea what the correction should be, I can't fix it.

1.         $classConstructor $refl->getConstructor();
  2.         if ($classConstructor) {
  3.             foreach ($classConstructor->getParameters() as $param) {
  4.                 $paramClass $param->getClass();
  5.                 if ($paramClass) {
  6.                     $args[] = $this->doMake($param->getClass()->getName(), $alreadySeen);
  7.                 } elseif ($param->isDefaultValueAvailable()) {
  8.                     $args[] = $param->getDefaultValue();
  9.                 } else {

How do I get the correct data to fix this?

I installed 1.7.4.3 a week ago and I have been off line for a week. It has really NEVER WORKED. My store is down. I did a fresh install so everything should have worked fine. It doesn't. The only way I could access the modules that were PRE INSTALLED with 1.7.4.3 was through the debug. It allowed me to see and upgrade the mods. However, PayPay, UPS etc that were part of the 1.7.4.3 package never showed up which means not all the included mods are visible. There should be a compatibility problem if they were included in the 1.7.4.3 package. My last post was from the debug program. This is what is keeping me from seeing and using the modules that were installed with the 1.7.4.3 What this leads to is a 500 error when I try to access the mods without going through the debug. 

• 3 months later...
On 10/20/2018 at 8:33 PM, mountarreat said:

You will most likely run into more problems after solving this, Billd11. That was also my first. Let me show you my problems/solutions upgrading PrestaShop from 1.6.1.6 to 1.7.4.3 recently.

The reason to upgrade was simple. I am urged to do so by my hosting provider because PHP 5.6 is at its end of the lifecycle. That said, every customer of One.com will experience a switch to PHP 7.2 by the end of the year. Since I was sure PrestaShop 1.6 would probably not survive the switch, I tried to move early, in case something goes wrong. Also, well you guessed it, something went wrong.

I made a full backup of files and database, as recommended, but I couldn't even upgrade via 1-Click-Upgrade on my live server. My workaround solution was to set up a local environment with XAMPP running on PHP 5.6 instead. It was pretty straightforward. Changing the database connection in '/config/settings.inc.php' and edit a few store URLs in the database.

'PS_SHOP_DOMAIN' and 'PS_SHOP_DOMAIN_SLL' in table 'ps_configuration', as well as 'domain' and 'domain_ssl' in table 'ps_shop_url'. Moreover, if you previously ran on SSL / SSL everywhere, you should probably search these fields in the config table, too, and set them to 0 in the meantime. After getting back into the admin section on the local server, I was able to perform the 1-Click-Update to PS 1.7.4.3, apparently successfully. Well, I faced several issues from there.

No. 1: Admin permission issues
I wasn't able to view customers nor orders, 'permission denied.' I solved it by replacing the 'ps_access' table in the database entirely, with a clean one from another clean install of 1.7.4.3 I had to perform to grab it.

No. 2: Module updating issues
Fatal errors occurred while trying to update 36-37 outdated modules. First I thought a class was missing, because of the error message, but PrestaShop told me all files were there. Reset all modules one by one did the trick.

No. 3: 500 server error with debug mode off
When I finally decided to turn the debug mode off, I was surprised that the shop wouldn't work as expected. I couldn't access certain areas at all anymore. I solved this by deleting the 'var/cache' folder entirely.

No. 4: Products changes not saved
This one has a backstory since I increased the meta description length in PrestaShop 1.6 to 320 possible characters. To my surprise, the 'meta_description' field in the database in table 'ps_product_lang' remained at 'varchar(320)'. I had to because 50-300 characters are recommended.

The fix was in 'classes/Product.php,' where I looked for the '$meta_description' validation lines, as well as in 'src/PrestaShopBundle/Form/Admin/Product/ProductSeo.php' for the counter in the form field. I increased the value limits to 320 each, which let me save my products again without having to shorten anything.

After turning off maintenance, another error occurred.

No. 5: Product images are not showing
Thumbnails were available in the back office product catalog, so I knew the product images were there, but in product edit mode, the images were missing as well. I thought It'd clear with rebuilding images/thumbnails, but it didn't. In the end, the fix was simple, but you need to know where to look. Disabling SEO friendly URLs, and re-enabling it, did the trick. Don't forget to clear browser cache after, or you might run into server errors which are caused by the changes and .htaccess caching.

After that, some expected cosmetic changes were necessary, because the product description was in such a narrow column in 1.7 'classic' theme, that I had to make the column wider again. That was quickly done, however, as templating is much more comfortable in PS 1.7.

Previously created slides needed new uploads of their respective background images in a new, full-width format. The three sample slides were removed, as well as the '20% off on clothes' default block on the home page before the footer.

There seems to be a general design flaw with the option "only available online," as it floats anywhere, even beyond blocks, looking like it's glitching and not well taken care of/neglected by the designers. I removed the check mark from every product, so I don't have to deal with it for now.

Double-checking prices and tax settings is necessary, as well as quickly revisiting email templates and payment module options and settings.

After that, everything went like a charm, like it's supposed to. By transferring everything back and switching to a new database, previously set up with the backup from my local environment, and making changes back to the live shop URLs and SSL settings, I now run my store on the newest version. I switched to PHP 7.2, and there are no errors to be afraid of anymore.

If you want to swap files into your root on the live server, I recommend transferring everything except the index.php and .htaccess file first and make a static copy as PHP file of your current shop maintenance page beforehand. Don't forget to set the status code to 503 via PHP to signal the crawlers in a proper way that they should come back later. That way no errors will show during transfer, and you retain 503 at all times.

When you are ready with all files and database changes, you can then transfer the 'index.php' and '.htaccess' to your root directory to go live (or real maintenance mode again, if you chose so.)

Cheers

Thank you so much for this. This helped me a great deal! I was running into the same problems and your solutions helped me.

The only other thing that went wrong for me after upgrading from prestashop 1.6.1.23 to 1.7.5.0 was that after checking if the payment options were working (such as paypal and bankwire etc.). I ran into the problem that it wouldn't validate the order. I got a blank screen. Also changing the status of an order gave me an internal error. I fixed this by going to my server side and at the php version (mine is set to 7.2) you install the extension intl. I got this solution from this topic on the prestashop forum. This solved the payment and status issue I was having. So maybe it will help others.