Displaying a product flash presentation in a new window (or removing the right sidebar)

I would like to be able to include product flash presentations within my shop. However, the default width of these presentations is bigger than the space available (default template middle column is about 550px wide at the moment but the presentations are 700px wide).

I think there might be two ways to deal with the problem:

1. creating a new page (not sure if it is possible) that would olny have the left sidebar and placing the flash presentation on it. I would then link to that page from the product page.

2. removing right sidebar when the use clicks product details.

I am not sure if either solution is possible. At the moment I am testing prestashop 1.4 RC and wonder how to include these 700px flash presentations. I would be most greatful for any comments you might have.

Zbigniew Szalbot

I think it is possible to create a new page do that.
See here for detailed information on how to create a new page

To remove left column, you need to remove following lines from YoutSiteRoot/themes/yourtheme/header.tpl

<!-- Left -->
               <div id="left_column" class="column">
                   {$HOOK_LEFT_COLUMN}
               </div>

To remove right column, you need to remove following lines from footer.tpl

<!-- Footer -->
<div id="footer">{$HOOK_FOOTER}</div>

Please note, above changes will affect all pages.

If you want to remove "left column" or "right column" only from the new page, you will need to create new header.tpl or footer.tpl, for example, header-new.tpl, footer-new.tpl, then use this two new header and footer in your new page.

Thanks! This is very helpful. Actually, I think you meant to remove this block

{$HOOK_RIGHT_COLUMN}

to get rid of the right column. But this does not solve the problem because when you click to view product's details, the width sticks to 556px even though the right column is gone. I guess I will have a look at the CSS file again.

But thanks for very helpful pointers!

Zbigniew Szalbot

Yes, you will need to change some style in css file which is at /themes/yourtheme/css/global.css

You need to identify the lines that define column width and create a new one for your new page.
(if you change existing ones, it will affect all pages, be careful)