How to? I need to UPGRADE and MOVE my shop to new domain/name? 1.2.5.0 to 1.3x-4x

Hello!

I have a few questions about upgrading and moving the shop.
As for today i run the shop in my signature, its on 1.2.5.0
I have registered a new company that is non personal and will then end my old company.
At same time im planing to change the domain for the shop from lindbergers.com/ws to newdomain.se.
It's stll gonna be the "same" shop, same products, prices, deals, terms etc.
So, what is best way to do this? And if i want it to be upgraded to 1.4, how far in future might that be?
I already have the new domain name and web-space, and its located on a new host,

Should i make a fresh install of 1.2.5.0 on my new domain and transfer all my edited files from old site to new site and then import the DB, and after that upgrade to 1.3x?

Or should i make a fresh install of 1.3x and then import old DB from 1.2.5.0, and then import all my edited files(modules, etc.)?

Or should i transfer all old files to the new space(make a duplicate), import DB, and then do an upgrade to 1.3x?
And then of course in the end upgrade to 1.4x.

What should be the best way to do this without loosing any data?
How would you guys do this?

All input is appreciated.
Thank you.

Kind regards
Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Am i really the first and only one to do this, has nobody ever moved there store with good result before?
I have searched and looked for answers but nowhere i find info on how you move your store from one host to another host and upgrade at same time.
It should be common i thought since many store-owners might need to change host for better support/speed/etc.

Any input is welcome.

Happy Christmas
Peter

If you are aiming to get your new store working now then you will have to install 1.3x and upgrade to 1.4x later as 1.4x is not ready for production yet. If you can wait you will save some time and effort. I have done this sort of migration many times as I follow a very similar process when I upgrade.

I would copy 1.3x to your new domain and create a new DB. Export a dump of your current store using PHPAdmin and import this into your new DB. Then go through the standard Prestashop upgrade process. You will then need to copy across all "extras" like additional modules or a new theme and configure the new store via the BO.

This obviously assumes you are familiar with PHPAdmin and also dont forget to copy accross your current config file, this will also need modifying manually to contain the new URL and DD access details of your store.

I can do a basic upgrade or migration of a store in less 30-40 minutes following this process

• 4 weeks later...

To save your database:

1. Log into your Hosting providers back end system and locate the 'mySQL' page to access your database
2. Once on the mySQL page Click 'PHPmyAdmin' next to your current database name.
3. In the PHPmyAdmin area Click on your database name in the left hand column at the top (it should look something like: db1212347637)
4. You should now see a row of tabs at the top of the screen, click the 'Export' tab.
5. Leave all the options displayed as they are as they should be automatically set up in the correct way.
6. At the bottom of the screen where it says 'Save file' ensure that you choose BZIPPED for best compression.
7. Hit 'Save' or 'Go' and save in a safe location on your hard drive.
8. You have now saved your database!

To import your database do exactly the same as steps 1 and 2 but instead of clicking on the database name in step 3 just click on the SQL icon which should be located in the left hand column at the very top. This should then open a window which should allow you to choose 'Import' and then upload your saved file.

PLEASE NOTE: the instruction above were done using a 1and1 hosting account so the User interface may differ from one hosting provider to another.

ALSO REMEMBER: The database structure in prestashop version 1.4 is different to older versions so if you are running an older version of prestashop you will need to go through the upgrade process before saving your database and then trying to import it into the latest version.

I have upgraded my prestashop on 1and1 hosting 3 times now without any problems whatsoever but I've read posts from some members who have reported problems after the upgrade. I think that as long as you follow the upgrade process carefully as instructed then you shouldn't experience any problems.

Hope this helps.

scottyboy and rudders18 Thanks a lot for the info.
As i see it, i will use the 1.3x version on the new domain, and then later in future upgrade to 1.4, but it will be when all this is clear and runing.
As it is today i have my store at one webhost, but i have my other domains at another webhost, and here on the other host is where i wanna move my store to, to a new host, and also with a new domain name as well. BUT i want to keep all products, customers, etc, etc.
I have tried a few times on my webserver at home to export/import, but it never seems to work out, no products/names pops up, and also the DB file tend to get bigger than the 2mb limit phpadmin allows.

I will look at your answers and see if that not can help me.

Again, thanks for the help.

//Peter

OK

I have now tested this both on my local webserver(wampstack) and on my new host.
BUT all i get after importing my DB is error message when i try to reach B.O, or the store front.
The import in phpmyadmin works fine, there is no error messages, and all entries seems to have been added.
I started with empty the DB in my new store, then import my old DB, and when trying to reach B.O. or store front i get message about SQL error.
If i drop the imported DB and import the original for the new installed store it all works again.

What am i missing or doing wrong?

Thanks for your time.
//Peter

Finally. I managed to move over all entries to new DB, and now all products are visible in storefront, and i can see all customers, orders etc, in BO.
BUT, now its a problem, its not possible to log on with any of the customers. And, its not possible to create new customers. It just results in an general error saying that it could not be done. Also i couldn't log on to BO first either, i had to use the hack file(newadmin.php) to create a new admin log in to BO.

So it seems that its not really communicating well between the store-front/BO and the DB. What can it have been that i made wrong, or is something missing?

EDIT: another question added.

Is it so that i cant use the DB from 1.2.5.0 in a 1.3.6.0 Shop?
I realize now that i installed the 1.3.6.0 and then imported the DB and copied over pictures, modules, themes, etc.
Maybe that is all wrong when i think of it?

Should i have copied my whole store from domain-1 to domain-2, import DB, copy over pictures, modules, themes, etc. and THEN upgrade to 1.3.6.0 ?

It seems like this might be the problem? For example, i tried to ad a new customer group and got this error message, "an error occurred while creating object group (Unknown column 'price_display_method' in 'field list')"
Is it so that 1.2.5.0 and 1.3.6.0 have a bit different entries in the DB?

If i am correct, should i then redo it as i said, or can i upgrade the DB to 1.3.6.0 compatibility?

Thanks again for your time.
//Peter

Hi Peter,

And did it work out? Are the problems solved?
I am also curious about whats best to do... I would like to try PS 1.4x.
Only I dont have a website working yet, (I made one using wampserver locally) but importing the old database with the old layout would be nice so it saves time not having to do it all over again in 1.4.
I could also start with 1.4 on a host, and importing the needed files from the wampserver to the host...
What would you suggest?

Greetz,
Don

Hi Don

I am sorry, but i have not yet solved this problem. I was hoping for some more input in this thread on my last questions.
I have tried to read up on it in the forum, but its nothing there to find.
I still cant log-in as a customer to the 1.3.6.0 shop with the 1.2.5.0 DB, i only get error messages even though i use log-ins that are certain to work on the old server.
I still cant create new customers in the 1.3.6.0 shop with the 1.2.5.0 DB, i only get error saying, "error when try to create account" (translated from Swedish)

So im still stuck. Can i somehow upgrade/edit my 1.2.5.0. DB to work with my 1.3.6.0. Shop?
Or what do i need to do?

Regards
Peter

Did you run the install script to update the database, and did it complete without errors?

The process is:

1. Install the new version files (1.3x or 1.4x)
2. Copy the images, email templates, translations, themes etc. from the old store
3. Copy the config/settings.inc.php across from the old store
4. Import the database into a new (empty) one (and then edit the settings.inc.php for the new DB details)
5. Run the installer to update the database and settings.inc.php file to the new version
6. Cleanup the install directory and admin folder name

That should be all you need to do.... if you've changed domain, then you'll likely need to go to the settings tab in the Back office and change the details there.

Paul

Thanks Paul

I have been trying back and forth with this and i cant say now exactly what order i did it.
But i will try to redo it as the way you say it. Maybe somehow i have missed a step, i dont recall to have seen any about updating the DB in the installer script. Probably that was something i didnt succeed to do.

Thanks a lot again
Peter