Add Default Text in the 'Search' Bar at the top?

Hi all,

Just wondering how I can add some default text in the search bar at the top of the default PrestaShop template?

I am creating an ink site and I would like users to type in the make/model of their printer so that they can find the correct products for their printer.

Could someone please point me in the right direction? I would love to have the following text: "Enter Printer Make/Model" instead of the search bar being blank.

Thanks in advance,

JAMiE

Change line 8 of modules/blocksearch/blocksearch-top.tpl (and blocksearch.tpl) from:

<input type="text" id="search_query" name="search_query" value="{if isset($smarty.get.search_query)}{$smarty.get.search_query|htmlentities:$ENT_QUOTES:'utf-8'|stripslashes}{/if}" />

to:

<input type="text" id="search_query" name="search_query" value="{if isset($smarty.get.search_query)}{$smarty.get.search_query|htmlentities:$ENT_QUOTES:'utf-8'|stripslashes}{else}{l s='Enter Printer Make/Model' mod='blocksearch'}{/if}" onfocus="[removed]if(this.value=='{l s='Enter Printer Make/Model' mod='blocksearch'}')this.value='';" onblur="[removed]if(this.value=='')this.value='{l s='Enter Printer Make/Model' mod='blocksearch'}';" />

Change [removed] to javascript followed by :

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you Rocky. Two more questions:

How to prevent user from searching the default text (Prevent from text "No results found for your search 'Enter search keywords'". It must be: "Please type a search keyword"). I have to edit search.tpl but I don't know how.

How do I change the text color on the onblur element? I want the Default text with a certain color and another text color (the default shop text color for forms) when the user type text.

Thank you.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi, everybody.

Please, tell me what exactly should be put instead of [removed].

I cant understand where to get this JAVA script.

hello

i suggest you to create new thread with your question. Please give us also more information in your new thread what you exactly expect

regards

• 4 months later...

i realize this thread is pretty old, but if anyone stumbles upon it, the preferred solution for default text in form type inputs nowadays is the "placeholder" attribute.

So something like:

<input type="text" id="search_query" name="search_query" placeholder="Search Products ..." >

Doesn't work with old IE versions, but theres a jquery plugin to make that work if you support old IE.

• Like 1