1.1 install causes missing category links in theme

No, but it may not be as bad as you think.

I would grab a copy of a file comparison utility (I suggest BeyondCompare, but only because that's the one I use). Now do the following:

1) Open up the old "default" PrestaShop theme folder and compare this to your 1.0 custom theme folder in the comparison utility(select compare folders).
2) Make a note of the files that you've changed between the default and your custom theme.
3) Apart from the files in (2) above overwrite the files in your custom themes with the new files from the 1.1 default theme. (ie. copy everything except the files you changed from the old default)
4) Returning to the files you've changed, you need to compare each of these side by side with the new default versions and manually merge any changes in the logic/variables etc.
5) Hopefully now you're done!

Paul

Thanks for that Paul, I'll try that but it seems clear that something must have changed in the 1.1 templating if 1.0 templates don't work correctly. I've tried about 8 different 1.0 templates on a clean 1.1 install.

Can anyone confirm if 1.0 templates (such as they are) are 100% compatible with 1.1?

Thanks again Paul, it is simply the lack of documentation that is frustrating. Your solution basically requires that we reverse engineer the template upgrades. Templating is the achilles heel of Prestashop in my opinion and the scarcity of quality templates as well as different compatibility issues (we now have 3 different generations) does not help.

Its okay im finishing some 1.0 themes some of which are open source so free to download im also making a 1.1 section as well and upgrading each 1.0 template to be compatible to its up the downloader to pick which version of the template they want. Hopefully this will make the process a little bit easier for everyone involved. I will also download all the templates i dont currently have from prestathemes and alter them so they work but this will take some time due to my current projects and helping prestashop users. I agree going back into the template to reconfigure it to be compatible is a bit anoying but i know users appreciate it so i dont really mind all too much.
I checked out some of my templates via 1.1 on localhost and they showed all the categories?? My issue was adding the adding of the new css code to allow me to change the comment sections and making sure it all presented correctly. All my main graphics were still in proportion which i was really happy about. I just have to work out what css to place inside the 1.1 version to get the upselling module products to display side by side instead of my current list view so will investigate the new prestashop css later on :D Great job Prestateam! I'm so enjoying the new RC.
(ALSO am i blind?? I couldnt find the cms module??)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul and others,

I just installed version 1.1.3 via a fresh installation.

I tried installed one old 1.0 theme and compared each file (include folder) to the same one from 1.1.3 default theme, then I replaced the 1.0 theme one with the 1.1.3. After that, it wasn't still work. I even replaced all the files in 1.0 theme with the 1.1.3 default them, just kept the theme name different. I found that the category box in homepage still be empty, and the ajax animation not worked any more when you added a item into cart. I think there maybe an issue in the main files, not with the theme files. I will keep look at what cause the problem. but so far I don't think all the 1.0 themes are working with 1.1.1b and 1.1.3. Anyone has a thought or solution with this? please share.

Try to replace the jquery import in header.tpl file, it s a newer version (jquery ->jquery-1.2.6.js)
Replace category.tpl and categorie-tree etc... if it don't work still compare your tpl file with the default theme and complete them, there is not so much changes in the new version with the themes files

Hi,

I figured out another way even thought it is not complete solution for it. I copied the 1.1.3(you may do the same with 1.1.1b) default theme and rename it as other theme name. Then I just copy the CSS files and img folder (under your desired theme folder) into the theme I just renamed (may replace the 1.1.3 ones). It seems working to me this way. But if you do need to find out which file causes the problem, replace each file one by one and refresh the front end page to find out.

Also I think 1.1.3 is great and worth to try. It has lots of great features that 1.0 final doesn't have. it is better to use at test environment thought. I setup two servers for 1.1.1b and 1.1.3. I have a formal running server seperately running 1.0 final which I put int most of my stocks and prices.

Salut

quelqu'un pour m'expliquer la procédure en Français, car même en traduisant, le problème persiste, donc je fais certainement quelque chose qui ne va pas.

j'ai aussi les links des catégories qui n'apparaissent pas dans le front office avec le thème metalic v2 sur prestashop 1.1.0.3

merci d'avance

Ray96

Salut

quelqu'un pour m'expliquer la procédure en Français, car même en traduisant, le problème persiste, donc je fais certainement quelque chose qui ne va pas.

j'ai aussi les links des catégories qui n'apparaissent pas dans le front office avec le thème metalic v2 sur prestashop 1.1.0.3

merci d'avance

Ray96

Hi Ray,

I think this is the forum for English. Am I right? :P English Please

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,

I figured out another way even thought it is not complete solution for it. I copied the 1.1.3(you may do the same with 1.1.1b) default theme and rename it as other theme name. Then I just copy the CSS files and img folder (under your desired theme folder) into the theme I just renamed (may replace the 1.1.3 ones). It seems working to me this way. But if you do need to find out which file causes the problem, replace each file one by one and refresh the front end page to find out.

Also I think 1.1.3 is great and worth to try. It has lots of great features that 1.0 final doesn't have. it is better to use at test environment thought. I setup two servers for 1.1.1b and 1.1.3. I have a formal running server seperately running 1.0 final which I put int most of my stocks and prices.

Thank you as this worked for me!

I am still new to Prestashop, but there is one area that whilst well intentioned is a bit of a doubled edged sword.

This is the transplant a module facility. Whilst on the surface it is a good idea, the reality is that when you develop a new design, it will be designed with a view to where the cart, search and other options will be placed. Now, if we are to design themes that place such blocks in precise areas on the page I am not sure I would then wish to a) see the search moved or B) have the motivation to design graphics, additional templates and more css rules just in case someone wants to specify the seach should be in the left column instead of the header.

Another issue is that when new version of Prestashop are added, the template may need to be updated and thus, each template also updated. This seems like a lot of effort. I can understand the moving of modules up and down in the left and right column, but beyond this I wonder if, for the actual templates this makes real sense. Take www.asos.com for example, if I had developed a theme that displayed as the site does, would I really want to create additional templates so someone can move the search from the top navigation bar into the side column. From a UI design point of view I dont want anyone to move the search, it will be designed optimally to be where it is coded.

I admit, even though I have a lot of XHTML and CSS experience, I am still having trouble understanding the footer.tpl for example with HOOKS and a right column. If I remove the right column, what happends with modules that have been designed for a right column?

For me, I would much sooner have a themes folder which has main templates such as index template, category template, products template, cart template etc... and this simply calls in the blocks I am then using (the themes templates) such a top sellers, featured products etc and I can put these wherever I like and just modify the template and CSS as needed.

However, its early days and I may simply not yet be understanding the whole design a theme process with Prestashop.

Is this a view shared by other CSS designers or am I just missing the way Prestashop template design works?

It does "Work" but not "CLEAN, When I install (activate) Products Category v1.2.1 in admin and then in the front page I click on products the “In the same category” are showing vertical instead of horizontal
Is there a fix??

the globa.cc in the 1,1 version has a few extra id's and classes... you need to add these into your original global.css.

get the program " beyond compare" (i think someone mentioned this before) it will show you both files side by side and show you the new parts to add to the original. just make sure you read what it is before you copy it over, you dond want to replace stuff that has been customised.

Static

the globa.cc in the 1,1 version has a few extra id’s and classes… you need to add these into your original global.css.

get the program “ beyond compare” (i think someone mentioned this before) it will show you both files side by side and show you the new parts to add to the original. just make sure you read what it is before you copy it over, you dond want to replace stuff that has been customised.

Static

I edit the file
it works now thanks

Experienced the same problem with my old 1.0 theme... categories not showing up etc. I didnt customise much so I just copied the default 1.1 theme and applied my customization.

I dont like the idea of going through lines of code to fix things after each upgrade. I was doing that with oscommerce before and that was one of the reasons to change to prestashop. I hope the team can keep things tidy and make "final" upgrades easier in the future.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
I had the same problem after updating to 1.1.0.5 that Products Category v1.2.1 showed the products vertically. To make it easier I have attached my global.css which needs putting in the themes/prestashop/css directory. This worked for me. Attachment did not work!
File here;
Right Click and save as.
http://www.205008.com/global.css

The problem for categories is that the themes are not compatible with your version. you need to cipy all the head section from the header.tpl of your default theme, to the header.tpl of theme that you want to use