Maximum number of products presta can handle? [urgent]

Last night, I ran an import with roughly 250.000 products. The import finished successfully, but ever since, the prestashop mysql queries have been eating up all the server's capacities, and the account has been banned about an hour ago (the import finished some 10 hours ago...), as it was slowing down the rest of the websites on the server.

Does anyone know whether prestashop can handle these large amounts of products? Is there anything that I can do to speed up presta in order to get the account un-banned, other than deleting all the products from the database?

Thanks a lot in advance !!

Thank you for these links. I tried some of the workarounds ,and also managed to identify some other slow queries , but presta kept being slow (faster than before, but not really user- or serverfriendly). I ended up deleting all of the newly imported products from the database...

Yes, the new products module is enabled, but I tried the changed version of Product.php which was in the other topic.
And I had all of the products in one large category. It was not really meant for browsing, but mainly for customers to be searchable (contains mainly spare parts). So it would be advisable to divide the products into multiple subcategories of the containing category? Which is a suitable size of products per category then?

Also, this is prestashop 1.2.5, are there any performance upgrade for 1.3?

Thanks for the help, love Prestashop so far, but this is giving me a headache....