How to delete all product combinations?

I imported combinations for a group of products (single attribute, many possible values) and everything went OK, except I forgot to specify the default value. I therefore did the import again, this time turning the "Delete all combinations before import" option on. The import completed without errors, but now all products with combinations/attributes show the error "This combination does not exist for this product. Please select another combination".

I'm wondering if there is an error somewhere in the database following the second import. Therefore, I thought I would delete all combinations and start again (rather than spend hours trying to find the problem). Do I need to clear certain tables from the database or will deleting the product attribute perform this task fully?

In the end I discovered the problem wasn't related to bogus database entries. The solution can be found here:

https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/414314-this-combination-does-not-exist-for-this-product-please-select-another-combination-please-help/

Basically, the error occurs because there is a missing entry for the Meta Title of the attribute/combination. You need to put something here otherwise you will get the same error I did (although I don't know why it didn't appear at first). I'm posting my solution in case others have the problem.