Products import

Peter

I am getting errors when importing products from my supplier with CSV files. The products cannot be loaded. Is there an easier option to upload the products in PrestaShop? Some addons or programs?

Edited by selectshop.at
Mass capital leters on title removed by moderator (see edit history)

For PSM - I've added you the docu link once post before. You can download the tool for free and try it out als for free and see if it is suitable for you.

The errors are saying that your csv is not correct, or not correct mapped to the fields.

Attach a prepared csv with the problematic lines into here, for that we can help you with the errors.

Thank you selectshop.at

It may be the case that this work is too technical for me.

Does you company work on PrestaShop stores?

Can you give me a quote on the work that needs doing, ie the product download and maybe some other issues that need resolving?

Alexandra., teh poblem is with the default settings in Prestashop.

CSV means Comma Separated Values, but some idiot progrmmer set the default on the import screen to a semi-colon, you need to alter that to a comma, that sould solve one problem.

The other problem may be as simple as having a space in a field where the import tool with prestashop doesn't expect one.

BTW this ecommerce solution is broken it will give you nothing but problems.

Hello Mad Modeller, thanks for the tips, I will look them up and see what happens.

Do you mean with your last remark that Prestashop does not work at all?

Or just the product import?

Alexandra: are you working for Prestashop? What customer service should I contact?

Selectshop.at: I will read up on the documentation you suggested. Thanks.

Sorry to hear that, I believe that most of these eCommerce shops DIY kits are the same.

I am not a tech savvy person and find all the codes overwhelming.

Tried Shopify as well, but you run into the same issues there......

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

Sorry to hear that, I believe that most of these eCommerce shops DIY kits are the same.

I am not a tech savvy person and find all the codes overwhelming.

Tried Shopify as well, but you run into the same issues there......

I'm doing a free trial with EKM, and so far it gets a thumbs up, the product import actually works, and you get a guiding hand for six months FOC, even with the trial and basic version.

@Peter- yes we work on Prestashop stores. We also use PSM and give support for both. The only thing you need to post here is some lines of your csv, in order that we can check why you are having errors.

Here you will find a sample of csv for prodcut import: http://doc.prestashop.com/display/PS16/CSV+Import+Parameters

If you are not able to post some lines of your csv here, compare your csv with the sample.

@Mad Modeller

9 hours ago, Mad Modeller said:

Alexandra., teh poblem is with the default settings in Prestashop.

CSV means Comma Separated Values, but some idiot progrmmer set the default on the import screen to a semi-colon, you need to alter that to a comma, that sould solve one problem.

??? You can configure this when you import your products. You can select the delimeter parameter you want. Seems you are making some confusion between file formats (csv, xmk, etc.) and delimeter parameters (, ;, etc). Which is not the same.

If you mean that you can only import csv-files, so this is true. If you want to import other file formats like xml, than you need to use paid tools for that. PSM also import xml-files for ex.

8 hours ago, Mad Modeller said:

There are various functions in Prestashop that do not function fully, I am in the process of moving my store away from it because it is so frustrating

Sorry for to say, but the biggest error in most cases is sitting behind the screen, this means: user errors. The import function works well, BUT it also needs a good configured server for to avoid time-out errors, when import file is too big.

As I said: if your server is not proper configured and you are having problems to import big files, than you can use PSM for free or ask provider for to configure the server properly. Min requirements you will find here: http://doc.prestashop.com/display/PS16/CSV+Import+Parameters

or here https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/633857-server-requirements-for-ps-17/

Another problem is wrong mapping of the fields, or wrong import settings.

13 minutes ago, selectshop.at said:

??? You can configure this when you import your products. You can select the delimeter parameter you want. It's not true you can use only comma, or semi-colon. If you mean that you can only import csv-files, so this is true. If you want to import other file formats like xml, than you need to use paid tools for that. PSM also import xml-files for ex.

Sorry for to say, but the biggest error in most cases is sitting behind the screen, this means: user errors. The import function works well, BUT it also needs a good configured server for to avoid time-out errors, when import file is too big.

As I said: if your server is not proper configured and you are having problems to import big files, than you can use PSM for free or ask provider for to configure the server properly. Min requirements you will find here: http://doc.prestashop.com/display/PS16/CSV+Import+Parameters

or here https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/633857-server-requirements-for-ps-17/

Another problem is wrong mapping of the fields, or wrong import settings.

No it doesn't, the combinations of products only  allows you to about 76 variations, what happens when liek me you have 250 different colour paints to upload, you can't even  give each variation a separate image, so you list blue paint with an image of red paint.

The product imnporter states that it will upload XML files...... it wont. 

I repeat again, CSV stand for COMMA SEPARATED VALUES .....AND NOT SEMI COLON SEPARATED VALUES....IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME   LOOK IT UP !!!!!

I am not the only one saying this, see the thread Prestashop  A practical Joke !

@Mad ModellerIf you cannot import more than 76 variations, than it is a server restriction/problem. You should read the both links I added before. Change memory_limit, max_input-time and max_execution_time as suggested. We are running several Prestashop on our servers (500 to 200.000 products and 3k filteroptions with numerous variations) without any issues. Most of these shops were added by csv import.

CSV is a format file and has nothing to do with the delimeters parameters you can set (comma or semicolon) when you import a file. You are mixing things.