changing manufacturer block dropdown menu help

I have turned the manufacturer block drop menu into a list for my categories for movies on dvd. The only thing I don't like is that when I select the categories from the drop down menu the address bar says /manufacturer.php?id_manufacturer=3 instead of it saying that can I change it to say product or dvd? like this /product.php?id_product=3 and how?

thanks.

I don't understand. Did you enter all your categories as manufacturers in the Back Office or did you enter your categories as categories and then modify the manufacturer block to get the categories instead of manufacturers? Are you using both categories and manufacturers as different things? You could rename manufacturers.php to something else, but not to a file that is already being used for something else.

I assume by address you mean the URL of the category links. You can't change them with translations.

You're making things difficult by adding your categories as manufacturers. You should have added them as categories as intended then modified the category block to look like the manufacturers block if that is what you wanted.

If you have your categories as manufacturers, what do you have as categories? Can you provide a link to your site so I can get a better idea of what you are doing?

What I did was make an extra block for quick access to categories like genres. My other categories block just has the links to dvd and blu-ray. I thought it would be easier to just use the manufacturers block because it already has a drop down menu and change the headings. Can I make another block like the original categories block only with a dropdown menu in its place instead of links? But I also want to keep my original categories block just the way it is but have an extra one for dropdown menu, so could I make something like categories2 block and how?

I see what you've done now. As long as the manufacturer IDs and category IDs match up, you can change line 10 of modules/blockmanufacturer/blockmanufacturer.tpl from:

<a href="{$link->getmanufacturerLink($manufacturer.id_manufacturer, $manufacturer.link_rewrite)}" title="{l s='More about' mod='blockmanufacturer'} {$manufacturer.name}">

to:

<a href="{$link->getCategoryLink($manufacturer.id_manufacturer, $manufacturer.link_rewrite)}" title="{l s='More about' mod='blockmanufacturer'} {$manufacturer.name}">

and line 21 from:

{$manufacturer.name|escape:'htmlall':'UTF-8'}

to:

{$manufacturer.name|escape:'htmlall':'UTF-8'}

If your IDs don't match, then it won't work. You can't use category.php for both categories and manufacturers. I suggest that you turn on friendly URLs, so that you get URLs 1-category-name and 1_manufacturer-name instead of category.php?id_category=1 and manufacturer.php?id_manufacturer=1.