parent category

Can you please tell me how to create a parent/main category please?

Have just deleted my sub-category (because it was under "home") for my Online shop
and lost everything :(

So I need to create a real category called "online shop" to enter all my sub-categories for products.

Completely non-technical beginner, but am trying

Thankx in advance for any advice and help

Nia

or do you mean you do not want home, but onlineshop instead of home?
If so you can use the translation tool in the backoffice if it's for the english language. Otherwise you will probably find it in the language files.

Thank you for your reply, when I add a sub-category it appears under "Home".

So now although I have a category called "Online Shop" it also appears under "Home".

This just looks so unprofessional, what I am asking is if I can still keep "Home"
but also create another main/parent category called "Online Shop" with sub-categories
underneath this for my products for sale?

I hope I am not having a "blonde" moment by not understanding you !!
Nia :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for prompt reply!

If I want to "Home" to "online shop." and add top link "Home" (so I will have Home two separate categories, but all of subcategories will go under "Online shop."), can I still do the way you have explained to me?

I appreciate your help!

cupcake

I'm finding it very difficult to understand what you mean. Can you create a tree diagram of the structure you want?

It's not possible to have multiple Home categories. All categories must be a subcategory of Home. The best you can do is add the categories as subcategories of Home and then hide the "Home" from the breadcrumb.

Hello.

Right now By default, i have ONE parent category called "Home." So If I am adding sub categories, it always goes under "Home."

For example, Let's say I have
1. Mens
2. Women's
3. Kids

Right now, it seems that I only have two choices:

1. They all goes under "Home."
2. I have to list them separately as a link. So on my horizontal menu bar, I have to have "home" , "Mens" "Women's "Kids"

What I really to want do is rename "Home" into "Online Shop" or something like that and all of sub categories I mentioned above goes under. I still want "Home" is one of menu choice right next to "Online Shop." But I do know how to create " a link" menu.

Do you understand what I mean?

I found the link to the store which has a menu bar close to what I have in mind.
They seems to have more than one "parent" categories.

http://www.artmosphere-deco.com/

Hope you understand what I am trying to say. Thank you very much!

P.S. I tried your way, but I don't think it worked... or somehow I did not do correctly...

Cupcake

Wow, looks like you've customised PrestaShop quite a bit. I can't see anything wrong with the way you have things now. I can't see "Home" anywhere. All your products are listed under "Shop". I thought you were wanting to change the text "Home" in the breadcrumb bar, but I see you don't have a breadcrumb bar on your site.

Do you just want to rename the "Home" category to something else? Unfortunately, it's the only category in PrestaShop that cannot be renamed in the Back Office. You must log in to phpMyAdmin and go to to ps_category_lang table to change the translation for the "Home" category.

Hello, again.

I went to edit phpadmin as you told me and rewrote Home to Online Shop and it worked!

I would like to have more than One parent categories as the shop I sent you a link do.
If you know how to do that, would you let me know how?

But At least now it says "online shop" instead of Home.

Thank you so much!!

It's not possible to have another category on the same level as the "Home" category. If you want to do that, you should add them as subcategories of "Home", then hide the "Home" category from the breadcrumb.

I think you're thinking about it the wrong way. Not every item on the menu needs to be category!

Hi. Again, thank you very much for your advice!

When I saw the store below (as I mentioned before),

http://www.artmosphere-deco.com/

they had a lot of menus such as boutique, artistes, info that has "subcategories."
So I was wondering if I can have the same thing..

Yes, I am using Top horizontal menu module. So I do know how to add subcategories.
I agreed that all of menu does not have to have sub categories, but as artmosphere-deco.com was doing, it would be great to have more than "parent" categories that can take sub categories..

But I guess it is not possible?

Cupcake

Yes, you can using "Top Horizontal Menu v2.6.2". You can add an item and select "Category" as the type, then select one category as the top-level item and create another item with a different category. Then you'll have two menu items with subcategory listings.

Hi everybody
Just wanted to say thank you for all the advice, site (including "Home") working fine
with a little help from a professional :))
Need to update the photos, which are a little yuicki, otherwise please let me know what
you think www.passion-savon.fr
nia x

Hello.

Thank you for your help. I did installed the module (menu), but I could not use it correctly.....
I still did not know how to add more "parent" categories with this module.

So I am still using top horizontal menu.
No way to use this module to achieve what I want?

I feel like I keep asking you the same thing and I feel bad.
Thank you very much for being patient with me....

cupcake

It works for me on my test site. I added a few test subcategories in the "Accessories" and "iPods" categories, then I went to Modules > Menu, chose "Categories" under "Type", then chose "Accessories" under "Category", then clicked "Save item", then chose "Categories" again, then chose "iPods", then clicked "Save item". When I do this, I get an "Accessories" dropdown that lists the subcategories of "Accessories" and an "iPods" dropdown that lists the subcategories of "iPods".

:down: Hello.

Sorry that I could not post my reply sooner!
I was out of town...

Anyway, I was able to follow what you said and it worked! Thanks!
However, function-wise, it works just like I wanted, but looks off (not aligned correctly) and also how "top horizontal menu" looks like.

Am I able to change how it looks for this module?

Thank you!

Hi. Thank you very much again.

I don't know how to play with CSS too much.
So I just pasted and copied the style I liked. It sort of works o.k. But now I have to use both Top Horizontal menu 1.3 and Menu V2.6 together to achieve what I want.. I may have to ask you more later about this, but I think it is o.k. for now.

Now, I have a different question. It is about left column and Best seller block. should I submit a new post?

Thank you.

Hello.

Hi. It is me again.

So As I said, now i have both Top Horizontal menu V1.3 and Menu V2.64 on my website.

Top Horizontal is hooked to Top of pages and Menu is hooked both to Header of page and Top of pages.(somehow I have to hooked to both to be working correctly.)

I basically use Top Horizontal menu as a link bar for CMS pages.
Menu is the one I am trying to use for online shopping and its categories.

I added "Shop Online" - that is just link to home page.

I added "Jewelry" - that should be parent category. I am going to add sub categories.

So Even I click Jewelry or Rings (sub category of Jewelry), it still says

Home>Shop Online for location indicator??? (Sorry. I don't know what to call. one line that shows where you are on the web.

Do you know what to do?
Do you also know how to only use Menu not with Top horizontal Menu and Menu?

Because I wanted to have the same look of Top horizontal menu, I just copied and paste css file.

Hope I am not confusing you too much.

my url is www.shopmelt.com/presta - please understand that it is still working process. thanks!

Hello. Thank you for your super fast reply.

I don't know if I looked at the right category.php, but mine is nothing like that.
this is line 71 thru 79.

$smarty->assign(array(
'allow_oosp' => intval(Configuration::get('PS_ORDER_OUT_OF_STOCK')),
'suppliers' => Supplier::getSuppliers(),
'errors' => $errors));

if (isset($subCategories))
$smarty->assign(array(
'subcategories_nb_total' => sizeof($subCategories),
'subcategories_nb_half' => ceil(sizeof($subCategories) / 2)));

What do I need to do?

Thanks

Look further up at the $smarty->assign before that one:

$smarty->assign(array(
   'products' => (isset($cat_products) AND $cat_products) ? $cat_products : NULL,
   'attachments' => $attachments,
   'id_category' => intval($category->id),
   'id_category_parent' => intval($category->id_parent),
   'return_category_name' => Tools::safeOutput(Category::hideCategoryPosition($category->name)),
   'path' => Tools::getPath(intval($category->id), $category->name)
));

If your 'path' looks like the one in mine, it should be working.