Duplicate shop without ecommerce feature

luke.c21hygiene

Hello all,

I know this is probably going to be a silly question, but I have to ask...

Is it possible to duplicate our prestashop shop so that I can use it with a second domain, here's the kicker.. it doesn't want to be a shop.. just an information website.

Basically I have been asked to create a second website that will be a different domain, they just want it to be an information website for certain products on our current shop. They want to keep the current theme and layout just minus the option to buy items..

Regards

Luke

That's actually a lot easier than I was expecting to disable the shop feature! thanks for getting back to me so fast.

As for the copying the website, I have no experience with anything like this so its a bit of a challenge.

We use a website called Softaculous to install software and things like that on our domain. This is where the prestashop is installed. It actually has a feature that allows me to clone a website, could I do that and just replace the url with the new domain? or would that be too easy..

Right, we use a script library called Softaculous which manages and installs the prestashop feature on our domain.

It has an option for cloning the website we currently have, you just input the new domain and copy.

I have tried doing this but when the new website is created when I go to its url it just redirects me to the current/old website?

This is because some domain related data is stored in the database. ps_shop_url table or so.

Furthermore your database configuration file needs attention. If you don't set up a new database, both shops would use the same database and hence you would always redirected to one of the shops.

Hi Scully,

Thanks for the advice. This has all been dumped on me and I have no clue what I'm doing really when it comes to databases so I have no clue where any of that information/ files would even be. I imagine they would be somewhere in the public_html directory on the server but as for where, I have no clue.

I have tried searching for database.c21 in the entire server but nothing is coming up.

I'm speaking to a Softaculous technician also, but he never even mentioned either of those things. I have sent him your help in hopes that he'll be able to help me.

A standard copy or clone script will not work for prestashop out from the box. Even experienced users fail from time to time to properly clone shops.

Probably better ask a service provider for help before messing up unintentionally ?

I'm on a mobile device right now an cannot post all details to look for.

Edited by Scully (see edit history)

Ah I see, explains why I'm having an issue with it then.

I have been speaking with the technician about it but the last step they gave me didn't really help..

This is what the last emails said -

"it looks like there are a lot of additional files and folders present in your source installation directory. It can be possible there is some file/folder missing which is causing the redirection issue as I have seen the database and the URLs are replaced there while cloning.

Can you please confirm none of them are a part of your installation."

"The files and directories that are unchecked in the list will not be cloned as they are not considered as part of the installation. Please check the files or directories that are part of your installation and save."

So, I went into the folders/files and checked everything but still all it does when I go to the new URL is redirect me to the old website.

Luke, you don't listen to me! There are settings such as shop url stored in the database. The database is NOT adapted automatically.

As long as you don't set up a separate database and change the shop url, it will never work.

Search the forum for cloning. There are many topics on this. And its NOT done just by copying files!!!

Edited by Scully (see edit history)

I'm sorry you think that I'm not listening but I am, its just confusing as its all new to me.

When I run the clone utility I need to specify the domain I want to use for the clone and also I need to assign a name for the new domain.

So, like you said it needs a new url and database, well it has both of them.

Old website

database is presta918 

url is c21hygiene.co.uk

Clone website

database is pres120

url is c21distribution.co.uk/pres120

• 2 weeks later...

Update: The problem has been resolved, using a clone tool that is built into softaculous.

There was a bug where the .htcaccess file was causing issues when cloning forcing the new database to. A technician looked into it, made some's changes to the clone tool so it now works as it should do :)

this is the line that was causing all the ssues -

We have checked and we found that the .htaccess in your root installation had RewriteRule written as follows:
RewriteRule . - [E=REWRITEBASE:/]

They made a change to that and it all worked!

thanks for all the advice

Hello Musicmaster!

Back to the catalogue mode..

When I enable this mode searching for the products no longer displays the product, if I turn it back to an actual shop it all works fine.

Here is the url so you can see what I mean - http://c21distribution.co.uk/presta/

The home page works fine, it displays a bunch of products that I can click and browse to them that way, but as soon as I try search for a specific product or go to one of the categories it doesn't work, it will just say how many products there should be.

Thanks for getting back so quick Scully,

I tried what you said twice but still no joy. After I rebuild the index it says its successful and it says this just above the button to rebuild the index -

The "indexed" products have been analyzed by PrestaShop and will appear in the results of a Front Office search.
Indexed products 102 / 102.

Ahh yea, I just noticed that a few searches return results but most don't, strange.

I have just recreated every category and added the products to them manually so that none of the products are listed in categories that don't exist to see if that would fix it but still no joy. I have also tried rebuilding the index again but still no joy. I wonder why some searches work but most don't and why none of my categories display anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your help man, I appreciate it.

I have ended up just avoiding the catalog mode as its causing the issue for me due to some config in the back end. Instead I have just disabled all the default accounts on the groups page and this has made it so theres no prices or option to buy the products. This will work :)

Thanks