Prestashop search issue. Issue is present in all versions of PS including the latest version.

Dolke

Hi guys,

Currently our website is running on 1.5.4.1 PS but the following search issue was recreated on all other versions of the software including 1.6 and latest 1.7.

Here are the details:

Our website is located at www.dekom.co.rs (no marketing intended) 

If you search the website and use "310120" you will get 10 search results.

310120 is actually SKU of one of our products and you will noticed that product with SKU is listed as last product after search is performed.

You will also notice that other 9 products doesnt include 310120 string anywhere in their fields so its a complete mistery why they are in the list.

With the help of eMagicOne team I have been able to get to this point:

Our techs have reproduced the issue with the search result on all PrestaShop versions starting from 1.6.0 and till the last ones 1.7.1.x. 

The search result for that certain case was the same - 10 products found, as PrestaShop reindex uses LIKE condition in the SQL request to the database: 
SELECT id_word, word FROM ps_search_word WHERE word LIKE '310120%' 

Here is the result: https://www.screencast.com/t/nWCwzSO2 

So it seems that this issue is related to how reindex table was made in the Prestashop but I dont know the criteria

For me these other 9 products are errors as they dont contain searched string so these products confuses our customers.
I dont know by what criteria Prestashop make some products similar to others by using LIKE SQL statemant. 

I repeat that this issue is present in all Prestashop versions.

Any thoughts?

Well its hard to tell since each website has different data set but eMagicOne team did reproduce the issue on all versions.
based on our data set and they are more then trustworty company and Prestashop platinum partner.

I think they have their accounts here on the PS forums so I will invite them to join discussion.

Edited by Dolke (see edit history)

Invitation has been sent.

I found one website that implements this "SEARCH LIKE" feature really good.

Please check this out:

So basically when you mistype keyword (and in our field of bussines this is very important) website would prompt the visitor that there is no search results based on his/hers query but there are results for some similar keyword or phrase.

http://prntscr.com/fk3pp4

I hope printscreen is clear enough. 

If Prestashop wanted to do something similar that is great feature to have but its not working properly. Instead it confuses customers...

Ponder :)  Think that is more confusing in Serbian

And not sure if that is translated right, second line should be "Reference weight" and by default it is 10

and you have it at 1. Try to change name to 9, short description to 8 and reference (Ponder težine) to 10.

Should influence a bit on results.

Thank you. 

I will consider changing those settings but still I dont think its a solution to a problem... more like a workaround if it affects the search results at all.

I guess I need to rebuild the index all over again once reference weights are changed?