Effects of changing domain name in admin?

Will the PS admin panel be inaccessible if I change the domain name in "Preferences > SEO & URLs" to a different domain?

I have the store built and ready to launch. It's under a testing domain, and I will be moving it to the live domain. Is it possible to change the above setting on the old site before backing up the database, or on the new site after restoring it? I've read instructions that suggest both ways.

I will also be changing nameserver settings at my registrar to point to the new host. The live domain is currently operational under old ecommerce software, and I am migrating it to PS.

I have most of the procedure figured out as far as copying the files and db over, and settings.inc.php changes, but to minimize downtime I would like to avoid hiccups!

Will the PS admin panel be inaccessible if I change the domain name in "Preferences > SEO & URLs" to a different domain?

I have the store built and ready to launch. It's under a testing domain, and I will be moving it to the live domain. Is it possible to change the above setting on the old site before backing up the database, or on the new site after restoring it? I've read instructions that suggest both ways.

For new hosting I suggest copy new shop over and modify to access  via IP/adminfolder.  Most hosting supports this and allows you to pre-test your new shop before changing the dns.  Then when you access via ip/admin you can set front office domain.  note: this can be tricky on some servers so contacting your hosting provider about accessing your website via IP.

If you cannot access new hosting pre-dns, you can change the shop url via phpmyadmin.  You however would not have access to new shop admin until dns switches or you use IP address.  I hope I did not add confusion.   Note:  If you have not run PS on this hosting before I highly suggest download install your version of PS from PS and install as it will check for most common hosting incompatibilities for you.

I will also be changing nameserver settings at my registrar to point to the new host. The live domain is currently operational under old ecommerce software, and I am migrating it to PS.

I have most of the procedure figured out as far as copying the files and db over, and settings.inc.php changes, but to minimize downtime I would like to avoid hiccups!

my feedback  above in red

do you also have proper redirects from old shop to new shop  all sorted?

Happy PrestaShopping

Edited by El Patron (see edit history)
  • Like 1