Issues after migrating to a new server

Hello,

I have just moved my Prestashop 1.5.6.3 store to a new VPS. The front end appears to be working well, but when I go to admin I get a blank white page. Now I have gone into config\defines.inc.php and checked that debugging is on "define('_PS_MODE_DEV_', true);" which it is. But i'm still getting a blank page. Anything I've missed here? is prestashop not reading defines.inc.php for some reason?

I don't believe it is permissions related as even with everything set as 0777 it still happens, (I've set permissions back to folders 0755 files 0644).  On a side note for when I fix this does anyone have a link to what permissions should be set post install? (I know 755 and 644 is ideal for most files and folders, but I'm aware there are some exceptions, but there seems to be a lot of conflicting information).

Cheers

Edited by flamedtofu (see edit history)

Hey Thanks Bellini,

I think you are on the money, as I tried a fresh install of prestashop and I got the same blank white page instead of the setup page.

I've looked though the error logs and I can't see any errors at the time i try to load the page (or any that look related) I ran phpinfo on both the old and the new server and compared them line by line, the following PHP modules are on the old server but not the new, do you know if Prestashop requires any of these?

bcmath
memcache
soap
tidy

Cheers in advance.

memcache would only be required if you are trying to use it as a caching engine, which is a setting in the back office. 

the other 3 should not be required for Prestashop core, but you could have a module that might rely on them.

however if that were the case, you should be receiving an error in the php server log, so if you are not, then perhaps it is not related to php at all, and is instead a webserver issue you are having (apache, nginx etc...)