Prestashop 1.7.0.6 Template Dev bogged down

Hi,

I have worked on several different CMSs: Drupal, Joomla, Wordpress, Concrete, OsCommerce, PhPBB, etc.. I have developed plugins/blocks/modules and templates for all of them. It usually takes me about two weeks to get a template(Responsive) or module up and running. So, I think it would be safe to say I am not a complete idiot...

Ok, enough about me... I have a problem, I have spent too much time trying to build a template for Prestashop 1.7 and while working on it have seen a few things that make me scratch my head. There is no/little documentation for 1.7 and what exists is incorrect (translations: Thanks, that cost me a day...)  

Long story short: After fixing the shopping cart, building two simple modules and writing two overrides I am quitting... Checkout is broken and hooks for the Ajax calls are missing(thanks for no documentation), I don't have time for this... It would be quicker for me to write my own shop than try and fix this. 

My question: Can I save any of my work, Is 1.6 better, or is it better to simply move on?

Hi,

I have worked on several different CMSs: Drupal, Joomla, Wordpress, Concrete, OsCommerce, PhPBB, etc.. I have developed plugins/blocks/modules and templates for all of them. It usually takes me about two weeks to get a template(Responsive) or module up and running. So, I think it would be safe to say I am not a complete idiot...

Ok, enough about me... I have a problem, I have spent too much time trying to build a template for Prestashop 1.7 and while working on it have seen a few things that make me scratch my head. There is no/little documentation for 1.7 and what exists is incorrect (translations: Thanks, that cost me a day...)  

Long story short: After fixing the shopping cart, building two simple modules and writing two overrides I am quitting... Checkout is broken and hooks for the Ajax calls are missing(thanks for no documentation), I don't have time for this... It would be quicker for me to write my own shop than try and fix this. 

My question: Can I save any of my work, Is 1.6 better, or is it better to simply move on?

IMHO they released 1.7 early so you are what I call the coalition of the unwilling lol...my advice is to go with 1.6...wait for 1.7.1x? stable, then you could upgrade to 1.7 platform later when you so choose.  the 1.7 eco is slim while 1.6 is fairly mature....

I think you are missing the point a bit. A theme takes a couple of month to make. He is a developer that has been working on a theme. There is not a stable default theme, so should theme dev start when the stable release happens? There would be no themes for the package release. This thing has been bungled every way from tuesday.