Change default language programmatically?

Which module are you using? It's really hard to guide you without seeing any code

I linked to the tutorial in my first post. I'm using PopUp Pro. And I'm using this tutorial :

https://mypresta.eu/en/art/developer/responsive-popup-with-currency-selection.html

I tried switching "setCurrency" to "countries" and to "setLanguage" and neither worked. I also tried this : 

$id_lang=(int)Tools::getValue('id_lang');
    $default_lang =Configuration::updateValue('PS_LANG_DEFAULT',$id_lang);

And it didn't work.

I also tried changing the language cookie but for some reason when I type in "cookie->" the ">" changes into ">" in the Popup Pro module so I couldn't change the cookie.

The code that I'm trying to edit changes the currency perfectly but I'm trying to modify it to do the same to language.

The code in question : 

<h2 style="text-align: center;">Select your currency</h2>
<ul class="popupcurrencies">
<li onclick="setCurrency(1); $.closeOverlay();"><a rel="nofollow" title="Pound (GBP)">(GBP)<br />Pound</a></li>
<li onclick="setCurrency(2); $.closeOverlay();"><a rel="nofollow" title="Z�oty (PLN)">(PLN) <br />Z�oty</a></li>
<li onclick="setCurrency(3); $.closeOverlay();"><a rel="nofollow" title="Euro (EUR)">(EUR) <br />Euro</a></li>
<li onclick="setCurrency(4); $.closeOverlay();"><a rel="nofollow" title="Dollar (USD)">(USD) <br />Dollar</a></li>
</ul>
<style>
.popupcurrencies {
list-style:none;
margin:auto;
display:block;
min-width:450px;
clear:both; overflow:hidden;
}
.popupcurrencies li a {
display:inline-block;
background: #FE5F55;
color:#F0B67F;
font-size:14px;
font-weight:bold;
text-align:center;
padding:20px;
border-radius:4px;
width:100px;
float:left;
margin:5px;
cursor:pointer;
}

.popupcurrencies li a:hover {
background:#FF8077;
}
</style>

And by the way. By "didn't work" I mean it literally didn't do anything. Clicking the button didn't even close the overlay.

Edited by Ravingmad (see edit history)