Prestashop not visible to the internet on local install (ubuntu)

Hello im new to prestashop so dont bash. 

I'm trying a local install of 1.7 for a client to set up a demo and i currently don't have access to a remote server. So i'm hosting a lamp server on a VM of ubuntu 16.04. Everything goes smooth and the back/front office works from the computer hosting the VM as well as any other local devices. However its not accessible from external devices. But here's the kicker everything's configured (ports opened etc) for external access and i can test with sample php & html pages however prestashop is the only thing that's not working.

When hitting the link it gives a time out error and fails with every try. Does anybody have any ideas for this issue.

Thanks

Edited by Melkon (see edit history)

can you define what an external device is?   is this device on the same local network as your VM, or are these external devices outside of your network?

If they are outside of your network, then this is expected behavior, unless you have opened your external ports in your network router to allow external traffic into your local network, and then routed those port requests to your VM server appropriately.

Note: I would not advise doing that, once you open your router ports/firewall, you will most likely be hacked

Actually after a lot of searching was the url redirection that was redirecting to the local adress instead of the wan adress. And yes ports are open but for a limited time (minutes) a day only for testing.