How reliable PrestaShop really is?

saverio.cannilla

Hello Everybody,

mine is not a provocation but a real question, as I am not familiar with the CMS.

The point is twenty days ago I've been hired to improve and manage an on-line shop based on PrestaShop 1.6.1.4 and, since then, rather than doing that job I spent the time fixing bugs: some modules generated errors in the invoice templates, some others in the VAT calculation, some orders were not recorded correctly into the database, invoices are generated for cancelled orders, etc.

I have to say at least two other "developers" worked on the site in the past (leaving no documentation whatsoever about what they modified and how) and some other non-developers have "played" with the configurations in the back-end. For this reason I cannot know for sure how many of my current problems are down to the PrestaShop architecture (which, at the very least, has proven not to be "user-proof") rather than to the previous modifications and to the users.

My idea is to re-create the entire on-line shop from the scratch and move from there but I am wondering whether chosing a different CMS might be worth.

What is your experience? Is it really just an issue of getting rid of the "rubbish" accumulated over time and then everything will run (reasonably) smoothly, or PrestaShop will always be prone to "break down" because of misuse by people accessing the back-end?

The first few of minor version of PrestaShop 1.6x was not very stable, but if you start from scratch, I suggest you use latest version of PrestaShop 1.6x, it should be stable.

by saying stable, there is always a chance to have some bug, but I think it is normal, all software has bugs.

The first few of minor version of PrestaShop 1.6x was not very stable, but if you start from scratch, I suggest you use latest version of PrestaShop 1.6x, it should be stable.

by saying stable, there is always a chance to have some bug, but I think it is normal, all software has bugs.

Thank you very much for your comment.