[SOLVED] Canary Islands and VAT

Mat_D1245

Hello Presta Community,

we just had a sale today for a customer living in the Canary Islands.

He is supposed to not pay VAT, it is a specific rule for them even if they belong to Spain.

I'd like to sort them out from the group "EEC" and move them to the group "Europe non EEC" (like Switzerland). That way the prices will be properly displayed for them and we won't have to tweak the the orders and the bills.

Can I just create a new country called Canary Islands in my Presta backend and pin it to the group "Europe non EEC"?

Thanks for any tips!

Mathieu.

Edited by Mat_D1245 (see edit history)

• 3 years later...
On 11/3/2016 at 11:55 AM, Mat_D1245 said:

Hello Presta Community,

we just had a sale today for a customer living in the Canary Islands.

He is supposed to not pay VAT, it is a specific rule for them even if they belong to Spain.

I'd like to sort them out from the group "EEC" and move them to the group "Europe non EEC" (like Switzerland). That way the prices will be properly displayed for them and we won't have to tweak the the orders and the bills.

Can I just create a new country called Canary Islands in my Presta backend and pin it to the group "Europe non EEC"?

Thanks for any tips!

Mathieu.

Hi,

whats the solution to add the canary island ?

I have the same issue.

Thank you 

D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

We have used this solution to get around the tax issue with the Canary Islands.

We encountered a new issue when changing the PrestaShop Checkout v1.5.1 - by PrestaShop

PayPal does not recognise the Canaries as a Country and therefore you can not accept payments from the Canary Islands.

Any solutions ????

Edited by Ecom-Neil (see edit history)

Hi,
I'm just setting up a shop and dealing with the same issue.
The best way seems to be to do it using zip/postcodes in the tax rules, assuming the Canary Islands, Ceuta and Melilla each have unique postcodes.
In Germany there are two areas with 0% VAT, Buesingen and Heligoland, with Postcodes 27498 and 78266 respectively.
So I had to set up the following tax rules for germany:
Postcode range 00000-27497 has 20% VAT (or whatever the normal rate is for you)
27498 has 0% VAT
27499-78265 has 20%
78266 has 0%
and 78267 - 99999 has 20%

Thankfully there are only a few regions like this that aren't set up as countries in Prestashop! The others, FYI, are Mt Athos in Greece, and in Italy Livigno, Campione d'Italia and Lake Lugano

Before doing it this way, I tried using States and setting up each of these regions as a state. This also works, but is clumsier: you also have to set up a state for "Rest of Germany" that the majority of customers not in any of these small areas has to select, and it is confusing to them as they are not actually states, plus you have to make up a false ISO code as they don't have official ISO codes. But I haven't checked whether the areas in Greece, Italy and Spain have unique postcodes - if not, I'll have to use the states approach.

Tim

• 1 year later...
On 8/3/2020 at 5:30 AM, ahmedjehanzaib said:

Hi i am on prestshop 1.7.5, can anybody help me to setup canary islands for accepting orders. thanks

Hi!

I am working on this as well. 

We have Canary Islands as it's own Zone and the tax works fine when the Canary Islands customers just chooses the CI as their "country".

However, our shipping partner won't tell the difference whether the post code is CI or aminland spain.
So in other words, our CI customers can put their country as ES and our shipping partner will accept the order, but the courier always returns the parcel which is a major headache.

Looking for something where I could for the country to CI when the user enters a CI post code....