Uploading Digital Product that is over 1GB in size?

Hi all,

I'm having trouble uploading a Digital Product (zipped file containing jpegs and psb files) to my store. 

When trying to upload through the Prestashop Backend I get a http 500 error which I guessed was due to the large file size.

I researched the problem and made some changes to allow larger file sizes to be uploaded and also to allow a longer upload time. 

But the problem still exists.

I would like to try and FTP the zipped folder BUT I have no idea WHERE to upload it to.

In my researches, people were mentioning a 'downloads' folder in the public_html root folder. Following some guidance, I tried to upload a 0kb text file through the Prestashop backend (so that I could FTP the zipped file and replace the text file with it), but this text file was not found in the 'downloads' folder after uploading through the backend. So I don't think I'm in the right place? 

Please help!

I just checked and the downloads directory is the right place. Perhaps it's a permissions issue? Check to make sure the downloads directory is chmod 755.

You can edit config/defines.inc.php and change the value of _PS_MODE_DEV_ from false to true to get a more specific error message than just 500 Internal Server Error.

• Like 1

I just checked and the downloads directory is the right place. Perhaps it's a permissions issue? Check to make sure the downloads directory is chmod 755.

You can edit config/defines.inc.php and change the value of _PS_MODE_DEV_ from false to true to get a more specific error message than just 500 Internal Server Error.

Thanks for your reply Rocky. I thought dev mode was turned on but it isn't so I've just turned it on and will try the upload again and report back! Thanks!

I'm not too familiar with permissions but when I right click on the downloads folder and click 'file attributes'  this is what I get:

post-1216186-0-26541700-1477802553_thumb.jpg

I think I might have discovered the problem (maybe) will have to report back if/when it uploads successfully.

In php.ini

I had changed this string to 2000MB

post-max-sizepost_max_size = 2000M

But discovered this other string which only had 640M by default (below has been increased to 2000MB)

upload-max-filesizeupload_max_filesize = 2000M

Finger crossed this resolves my problem!

Edited by kinderyum (see edit history)

So I left the digital product upload to run over night and woke up to this message:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I was searching in the wrong spot for the uploaded test file and I think I've found it now. Will try the replace method today!

Just replying to my own post lol but there is definitely something not working correctly with the 'rename method' (see HERE for the method).

I uploaded the zipped file then downloaded it (both via FTP) BEFORE renaming to the long string of letters/numbers and it WORKED FINE.

However when I rename it (to replace the small uploaded file) and then download it (from PS back end), it DOES NOT WORK. The unzipping program gives an error (file can not be opened).

So, for me, there is no problem uploading the large file (through FTP), the problem is with downloading it correctly after renaming it (to the long auto-generated name) which in turns replaces the small file. Something is getting broken in this process.

Hoping someone can shed some light on this frustrating issue for me.

post-1216186-0-81361900-1478058948_thumb.jpg