Upload Digital Products Via FTP (Walkthrough)

Okay, I have a website, http://www.nologodownloads.com , and I need to upload files over 128 MB in size.
The problem was that I had this:
http://www.prestashop.com/forums/viewthread/19607/
Error: Big Error
Meaning the file was too large.
http://www.prestashop.com/forums/viewthread/7707/
Talks of how to fix this, but it still is a problem for some of us for files above certain limits, like 128 MB, as our web hosts don't allow anything above that for PHP scripts, as it would take up too much of the server's resources. (At least if the website is hosted on the same server as other websites, to save cash. Like what I did. Also meaning you don't have a dedicated server for only your website.)

Whatever your reason is that you can't upload large products to PrestaShop, here's a workaround that I have found. (I really read about it on these forums, but never got it to work, and I couldn't find the original posts, so I'll just write this to help others out.)

Anyways, here's the walkthrough:

1. Create the product in PrestaShop
2. Create a 0 kb .zip, .jpg, .whatever file with the same name as the file you want to upload. (I'm not sure if you have to have the same name, because I haven't tried it yet, but I would rather be safe than sorry.)
3. Log into your FTP account and navigate to /public_html/download/ and upload the product to it via FTP.
4. Delete the 0 kb file and it will say that the file is missing from PrestaShop.
5. Copy the long name of the missing file (it should have a lot of numbers and letters, something like this: 35783062eec9cbfb43235d022e5b302da8a20106) and rename the file you just uploaded to the name of the missing file (just paste it in), and make sure not to have the .jpg/.zip/.whatever portion of the file name in there, because this won't work.
MAKE SURE YOU UPLOAD THE FILE TO YOUR WEBSITE BEFORE RENAMING IT!!!! OTHERWISE THIS WON'T WORK!!!!
6. The file should work now, and you can click the file in the Product page to download to check and make sure it works completely.
7. ????
8. PROFIT!!!!

I just write these because I needed something like this, but I couldn't find it, so I just have it for whenever anyone else would run into this situation.

Please post walkthroughs of fixes/workarounds so people like me, who aren't as computer literate as program developers can quickly understand them (and please say specifically where files/folders are, such as saying /public_html/download/ instead of just saying the download folder).

Error: Big Error is no longer a problem!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi!

Can anyone help me with this issue?

Can you have large files hosted on another server?

Will prestashop support off-site hosting on antoher server? Or files could also be on the same server but under another domain?

Thanks for your help.

From how it's set up, it doesn't look like you can.
All the files are kept in /public_html/download/, and I don't know if there is a way to change where the files are kept.

Hey thanks for helping

I have tryed to upload as u said to downloads folder on server

and rename it with the missing file number

back to prestashop admin and update and save

then i can se the bluehawaiivol1.zip file and click on it in presta admin site and set download days to 30 days

then i tested the shop again put the product in basket and buy it.

when i click on the product link on virtuel ware mail it says the ware is no longer availeble or you download trial period i ended ??

Hmm have u tryed it ?

ole

• 1 month later...

I have tried using the ftp method as described but still having problems. I can see the file OK in the admin area but when I add to basket etc and click on the download link in the email it returns an error saying the product cannot be found.
Any ideas?

I have managed to create a php.ini file which I saved in the prestashop admin folder (I had created this file before but had saved it in the root of my shop which didn't work). My upload limit is now 100MB which has enabled me to successfully upload my downloadable zip file from the shop admin area...so far so good. I then test the cart and add the product to my basket and checkout. However when I try to download the product from my account area I get a'file not found error'!!!

I am really pulling my hair out over this...I have managed to upload smaller (3-5MB) mp3 files and everything works OK with them!

Can anyone help me out with this please?!

hmm what was working for me was to make a 3-5 mb zipfile on my comp whatever.zip and , okay upload the file via presta admin file browser. Then it says with yellow the file is uploaded and the filename is the same as the zip files. Now you can already see the uploaded zip file in the downloads folder via ftp. Its a long filename with a lots of numbers. You can now go back to prestashop admin and save the product you have just uploaded. Okay go back to ftp and your download folder and upload the real file you want custumers to download, the bigfile.zip. Now you can se your big zip file in the download folder. And also the long filename too. mark the long code and copy, go to the big file mark it and rename it and paste the copyed code to it. now the bigfile is the file with all the numbers.

try to se if it works now an you can download the file

• 1 month later...

I had the Big Error problem, but after creating a user php.ini file, I can now upload 180MB files. You also have to increase the size of the max post size and max upload size. If you only change one, you will get the same big error.

However I still have a problem, although I can now upload big files, I am only able to download small ones. If I try to download a big file, I get the following error

This web page is not found.

No web page was found for the web address: http://www.etech-training.co.uk/freepbxtrg/get-file.php?key=1414cea014fd2963d3410a80abd1afac5e04fb66-25991eab43741baa1c931af33e59ed7fadfdfaf0

I have even tried creating a product with a small file and testing all works well. If I then replace the file in the download folder with a large file (180MB) I get the above error. The error is not generated by my server, so the problem lies somewhere within prestashop.

Any ideas?

• 1 month later...

I tried this method but it doesn't work.

1. I created a product, I uploaded small file - 1M - I got this long number e.g.. 1f9ed76d522cbb2112d047171913b1fb7beca077
2 I upload big file via FTP e.g.. file.rar - 700MB
3. I deleted 1f9ed76d533cbb2332d047171913b1fb7beca077 file, and renamed file.rar.
so now I have file 1f9ed76d533cbb2332d047171913b1fb7beca077 700MB

but when I download something I download only file 1 MB not 700MB

I have presta 1.21

any idea?

Hello

Okay such a big file in a zip its a heavy file.

It sounds like you are doing right but, when you have uploaded the real file dont first delete the long named file, but copy the long name. Then click on you big zipfile and rename it by select text and paste it in. then it will sure say that the file exist, or overwrite it , but then just say yes, and now your long named file is your big file.

Just reply back to me if it work :-)

Ole

Yes , I only use cut and paste.

It work, I can download but e.g. file size is 200MB but I can download about 1 MB not more.
When I am downloading I can see real size of file, but is suddenly stopped.

How to solve this problem?

Maybe this is limitation of my web-hosting provider or not?

I am sitting about this many days, I tried everything, maybe I make something wrong.

PLEASE HELP

I sent mail to my provider. I am waiting for answer.

My files will be bigger. I want to sell my music - WAV.

1. split files to smaller one

Q: is possible to add 2 or more files in one downable product?

eg.
files.part1.rar
files.part2.rar
files.part3.rar
files.part4.rar

or

2. Find some help in provider. I have no idea. I tried everything.

or

use other program

@adamus007p

I'm using 1.1.0.5, so I haven't tried this on anything else.
I'm going to migrate to 1.2.5 or 1.3 at the end of May.
I might create a test 1.2 version to test out this way to upload large digital products, but I have a lot of projects I'm working on right now, so I'm not sure when I can get a grasp on everything.

I just want to make sure:
Are you renaming file.rar 1f9ed76d533cbb2332d047171913b1fb7beca07 or 1f9ed76d533cbb2332d047171913b1fb7beca07.rar?
Because this will only work if you rename it 1f9ed76d533cbb2332d047171913b1fb7beca07 (you must leave out the .rar)

I'm not sure what is wrong with yours.
Did you create a php.ini file?

And as of now there isn't any way to have multiple files per product, other than having two files. I've heard 1.2 created the ability to add on something, like a PDF file to give album art/walkthroughs/whatever else that would go alongside the original product.
Magento has multiple file uploads, a la files.part1.rar, files.part2.rar, etc., but I had a lot of difficult trying to work with it and found PrestaShop a lot better, not to mention the money I saved with the AWESOME community here. There were multiple modules and a theme that I used that would have cost me at least $500 if I used Magento, but didn't cost me a dime because the people here aren't as guided by money as the Magento users are.

Magento also hase a huge bias towards their Enterprise edition, so there Are a ton of features that are included in PrestaShop that aren't in Magento's "Community" Edition.

I just want to make sure:
Are you renaming file.rar 1f9ed76d533cbb2332d047171913b1fb7beca07 or 1f9ed76d533cbb2332d047171913b1fb7beca07.rar?
Because this will only work if you rename it 1f9ed76d533cbb2332d047171913b1fb7beca07 (you must leave out the .rar)

yes I renamed correctly without extensions

file.rar
to
1f9ed76d533cbb2332d047171913b1fb7beca07
not
1f9ed76d533cbb2332d047171913b1fb7beca07.rar

php.ini - I don't remember. What I should include it in php.ini and where it put it?

Should I modified any others files?

hey

yes rename it 1f9ed76d533cbb2332d047171913b1fb7beca07 and dont write.rar in the end

ole

I have made a album to download but only the hole album with 12-14 wma songs and compress them to a .rar file and its about 58 MB pr album so my 1f9ed76d533cbb2332d047171913b1fb7beca07 file it a hole album i a rar file

Goodmorning

Its something with your max upload size

send me your HTACCESS file from your download folder i prestashop its about 1 KB only

I would like to see if there is a max upload on that

Because I can see that i have changed that file from original file when i downloaded the program

Ole

@bluehawaiiband

I sent you PM.

this is a link
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/21461111/download.rar

I have no problem with upload it, i can use FTP to bypass upload limitation, but I have problem with downloading file.

It start download, but it stopped after 1-3 sec. Files which should have a 700MB have about 1MB.

@Amish Gramish
tell me more about php.ini please

try sent 700MB to check.

plese sent me your htaccess

have you changed anything ealse?

EDIT 17MARCH

I bought new web serwer in other provider, but now. I sent small file, I sent big file via FTP, I changed the name (rewrited it). Now when I order nad get link to email to dowload it is error: File can't to be searched.

Now I have presta 1,25 newest stable verion.

I don't change anything now. Which file i have to change to correct dowloading?

EDIT 2

Do you have a dedicated server or normal?

Maybe solution will be change server to other one?

Cant send my htaccess file but open your file in notepad and select all your text and paste this text into it and then save and upload again.

this is the only text in my access file :

# Max size upload file
php_value upload_max_filesize 100M
php_value post_max_size 100M
php_value max_execution_time 200
php_value max_input_time 200

Order deny,allow
Deny from all

Order deny,allow
Deny from all

put to
.htaccess file

where put this file in main presta folder >> mydomain.com/presta << put in presta folder
or
mydomain.com/presta/download << because there are second .htaccess file

where locate it?

step to adding new products:
1. create some small file: name.txt - OKB and change name to name.rar
2. login to admin panel
3. i add new products: name, quality, (in test version I don't put othere things like picture, tags), price is 0€ to test
4.I click on: Is this a downloadable product? and I add last created file, name.rar

5. I is already aded, I go to FTP to download folder and see new file 729e124e3c210d4f43e731d7fd7dfd803544e234
6 I copy new bigger file I try with same same name.rar - it have 400MB via FTP to download folder, now I have 2 files (except .htaccess, index.php which was there later):
I have:729e124e3c210d4f43e731d7fd7dfd803544e234 -0KB and name.rar -400MB
7. I copy name 729e124e3c210d4f43e731d7fd7dfd803544e234 go on file name.rar and remane it to:729e124e3c210d4f43e731d7fd7dfd803544e234 (with no 729e124e3c210d4f43e731d7fd7dfd803544e234.rar, only 729e124e3c210d4f43e731d7fd7dfd803544e234)
8. Now, I have only 1 file: 729e124e3c210d4f43e731d7fd7dfd803544e234

then I go to site buy and check in mail, Can I download it

when I put

Order deny,allow
Deny from all

put to
.htaccess file

mydomain.com/presta << main folder I see error

403 Forbidden
You don't have permission to access this document.

I was trying put root folder mydoman.com >>
403 Forbidden
You don't have permission to access this document.

When I trying put .htaccess file to mydomain.com/presta/download nothing is happen >>File it can;t be find

• 3 weeks later...
there is no point, I was talking with many provider and the problem is server limitation.

when you have dedicated server you can set up your own limit: max post, max time of php script work

Usually that is only when you use PHP to upload, and if you get the workaround to work, then there shouldn't be a problem.

I actually just used the .htaccess file from Magento (I don't like Magento, as there is a very, very small community that makes things just to help out people, unlike PrestaShop, and PrestaShop is a lot easier, although Magento does have native multi-product downloading.) and that worked.

I'd say you should still mess around with things and see if you can get it to work.

I am confirming that this works with 1.3.0.3 and 1.2.5!

I actually don't have a .htaccess file, at least I don't think I do, as I didn't place one there myself.

Thanks for testing on the new version - I think I'll take the plunge and upgrade now!

• 5 months later...

Hey,

Your described process works fine with my site (V1.2.2).
I have been able this way to add a 24mb downloadable product, on a shared LWS server, while LWS upload limitation is only 8mb !

The only difference was on the last steps:
Once the big file was uploaded, I changed the name of the small file, by adding one character to its long name. Then I copied it name, without the last character and pasted in into the name of the big file. Then I deteleted the small file.

Here it is: http://www.myphotorescue.com/webmasters-tools/69-prestapricing-fast-product-changes.html

By the way, this is a new external add-on for Presta, freshly released, for fast edting of prices, weights and other attributes. I'm going to announce this separately to not pollute your post.

Thanks !

Franck

• 1 month later...

I'm having this exact same. I have followed the steps outlined here and all seemed to bt working. But then when I try to download it gives me a This web page is not found error message. I'm tearing my hair out over this. Am I really going to have to move everything to a different hosting provider?

Thank you for posting this. it is a good information about ftp.
The system currently has a limit of 100Mb per file. This means that the maximum size of downloadable files must be less than or equal to this. Keep in mind from time to time review all our limits , but there is currently no immediate plans to increase that figure. If you need to store files in a larger size, I suggest using an outside service.

Okay, I have a website, http://www.nologodownloads.com , and I need to upload files over 128 MB in size.
The problem was that I had this:
http://www.prestashop.com/forums/viewthread/19607/
Error: Big Error
Meaning the file was too large.
http://www.prestashop.com/forums/viewthread/7707/
Talks of how to fix this, but it still is a problem for some of us for files above certain limits, like 128 MB, as our web hosts don't allow anything above that for PHP scripts, as it would take up too much of the server's resources. (At least if the website is hosted on the same server as other websites, to save cash. Like what I did. Also meaning you don't have a dedicated server for only your website.)

Whatever your reason is that you can't upload large products to PrestaShop, here's a workaround that I have found. (I really read about it on these forums, but never got it to work, and I couldn't find the original posts, so I'll just write this to help others out.)

Anyways, here's the walkthrough:

1. Create the product in PrestaShop
2. Create a 0 kb .zip, .jpg, .whatever file with the same name as the file you want to upload. (I'm not sure if you have to have the same name, because I haven't tried it yet, but I would rather be safe than sorry.)
3. Log into your FTP account and navigate to /public_html/download/ and upload the product to it via FTP.
4. Delete the 0 kb file and it will say that the file is missing from PrestaShop.
5. Copy the long name of the missing file (it should have a lot of numbers and letters, something like this: 35783062eec9cbfb43235d022e5b302da8a20106) and rename the file you just uploaded to the name of the missing file (just paste it in), and make sure not to have the .jpg/.zip/.whatever portion of the file name in there, because this won't work.
MAKE SURE YOU UPLOAD THE FILE TO YOUR WEBSITE BEFORE RENAMING IT!!!! OTHERWISE THIS WON'T WORK!!!!
6. The file should work now, and you can click the file in the Product page to download to check and make sure it works completely.
7. ????
8. PROFIT!!!!

I just write these because I needed something like this, but I couldn't find it, so I just have it for whenever anyone else would run into this situation.

Please post walkthroughs of fixes/workarounds so people like me, who aren't as computer literate as program developers can quickly understand them (and please say specifically where files/folders are, such as saying /public_html/download/ instead of just saying the download folder).

Error: Big Error is no longer a problem!

Hi..thanks for sharing...I have the same problem

• 2 months later...

Hi,

So far this process was working fine for me, for files up to 30mb.

But I'm not successfull anymore, with a 40mb file. On the upload side, everything looks fine, but when I download the product, it stops after one second and I get a 0 bit file.

Looks like there is a file size limitation for the download as well. But I cannot find any documentation about it. Looks like this is host (server) dependant.
Mine is hosted at LWS, and I just asked them about such a limitation (it usually takes minimum 24h to get an answer).

I also noticed PHP was configured in safe mode by default. I have changed this, but also need to wait 24h to have the change applied. I changed this as I read somewhere that the max_execution_time parameter cannot be changed in safe mode (this parameter can influence the downlaod success of big files).

I'm afraid to be stucked for now, unless someone has an idea...

Rgds
Franck

Answering to myself, in case it can help others, just found the solution here:
http://www.prestashop.com/forums/viewthread/80868/installing_prestashop/large_file_uploaddownload_issue

I replaced the get-file.php by the one provided in this post and the download of my 40b file is now running fine.

Hopefully this has not created other side effect (not sure this file is for the same version of Presta than mine - I'm running Presta 1.2.2)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello Everyone,
i have this problem about uploading files bigger than 10M files, i have my own dedicated Hosting Server, so i tried to change the max_upload_size to 100M to have this problem solved but unfortunately it didn't work out !
i Do Not Want to use FTP method to upload files because i have employees working for me and i don't want to give them FTP Access.
is there any Solid Way to Fix this problem ?! i do have all access to webserver configuration so if there is ANY way please inform me.
thanks for reading this.

• 2 months later...

This 'big problem' was 1 of the big reason I moved to Joomla + Virtuemart. I can upload a lot of zip file for 1 product and my customers also happy while downloading. Virtuemart is so easy but Joomla is troublesome. And this is also the big reason I moved to Prestashop lol

I hope Prestashop will upgrade the uploading feature for selling digital product in the next version (by learning from Virtuemart).

Tired moving here and there :P