USPS Module not Calculating for Dimensions of Items

Dear Forum,

I am using PrestaShop version 1.6.0.9 and have been using the free USPS module for a year now.  This module works fairly accurately for regular packages.  However, it fails hugely when dealing with large or oversized packages.  Many of the products I carry are not heavy in weight, but are large packages.

My most recent example was a customer ordering a 6ft wooden snowman craft.  The weight was 22 pounds, but the dimensions of the package as posted in items shipping tab (17"W x 72" H X 4" D) is considered large by USPS.  Customer checked out with this item and the USPS module stated $22.80 for her shipping total.  Actual price when taking package to Post office was $67.99.  Quite a huge difference. 

So, my questions are: 

1.  Can the free module be adjusted to conform to the actual weight and dimensions of the items I am selling?  I was kinda of "assuming" that the module was passing the dimensions of each item, but now see it only seems to be basing on weight.  I have experimented with the USPS module by attempting to change package size from "Regular" to "Large" and the Packaging type from 'Variable' tp "Any of the other choices".  However, if I alter away from regular and variable, all I am getting are errors and the module stops working altogether.

2.  If #1 can't be altered to adjust for the dimensions, does anyone have a suggestion on a good paid version for PrestaShop that would work?  I just need reassurance that a paid one will be taking the dimensions and weight into account when calculating shipping. 

Thank you for your time and I apologize if this has been duplicated anywhere on this forum.  I have searched the forum and Internet to the best of my ability, but was not finding the answer.  If anyone can provide further insight or suggestions, I would most appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Danny

I'm not currently using USPS (although likely add it soon) but the free modules tend to only use weight. I had the same issue with the free Fedex module. I upgraded to the paid module from Presto Changeo and now shipping considers weight and dimensions + allows for multiple boxes. It is an excellent module and based on the FedEx module I'd second rocky's recommendation. 

• Like 1

Naldinho,

Thank you, too, for you input.  I greatly appreciate and agree with Rocky's suggestion.  I guess the free modules do have their limitations.  So, I can't blame PrestaShop for not giving all the features of a paid module in a free version.  I think I will be going with Presta Changeo's module.  It appears to do what I need it to do for those oversized items. 

Thanks again to both of you for your responses.

Danny