Should I choose Prestashop for my ecommerce marketplace?

naulo

Hello,

I'm trying to create an ecommerce marketplace where multiple sellers can sell their products/services. I need a scalable platform that I can use without breaking the bank. In the past two weeks, I've gone through countless forums, articles, comment sections to gather as much info as I need. 

I've narrowed it down to Prestashop and OpenCart, both of which seem to offer all the features I need. Prestashop does have an edge with many quality modules available (many popular ones even for free) and the larger community available for support here on the forum. 

However, my concern with Prestashop is that the massive change that's about to happen with 1.7 release. And it seems like 1.6 still has quite a bit of issues to be resolved. How long is 1.6 going to be supported (I really can't afford to upgrade every now and then. We just don't plan to generate that kind of revenue for the upcoming few years).

Although I like Prestashop, I'm really confused as to what I should do. And if I should choose Prestashop, should I go for 1.7? (Don't plan to go live for another two months) Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you!

I have tested the Back Office of both OpenCart and Prestashop. I like them both. I can't believe Prestashop is making such major changes from 1.6 to 1.7
If I choose 1.6, I wonder how long I'll be able to stick to it without having to upgrade.

Edited by naulo (see edit history)

I've been with PrestaShop since 1.5. I didn't find the 1.5 to 1.6 change to be a hassle. I downloaded and installed 1.7 on my internal server and at least appearance I didn't notice much different. I'm not really following the development of it so I don't know what you mean when you refer to such a significant change is coming. The one thing I would say is that you are not required to update if you don't want to. If a store is working fine and there are no features you want which are missing then only speed or security issues would justify an upgrade. 

As for which eCommerce platform to go with -- I have PrestaShop, OpenCart, and Magento as the three that I go to. I install all three and start setting up the shop and then see which fits better with the type of products being sold. There is a huge overlap in common features but small product specific issues come up. If you setup the a basic version of your eventual store in all three then by the time you're done you'll know which is the correct platform for the project. It might seem like a waste of time / effort but so is having to move a store to a different platform after getting it up only to realize it doesn't really fit with the platform you picked blind.

I have tested the Back Office of both OpenCart and Prestashop. I like them both. I can't believe Prestashop is making such major changes from 1.6 to 1.7

If I choose 1.6, I wonder how long I'll be able to stick to it without having to upgrade.

1617 with quality theme will give you 2-4 year shelf life.....

1.7 will not be 'mature' early mid 2017...

Thank you guys for your great answers. That puts me in the right direction.  B)

Any personal recommendation for an ecommerce theme? (I personally like this one - Panda - https://themeforest.net/item/panda-responsive-prestashop-theme/9750650

Panda is a very popular theme.  For me it's what you  cannot see and getting access to back office to view tools that come with theme, i.e. menu support is super important.  Check that developer has great documentation on how to configure.