Huge theme installation problem

Hello,

I designed a template theme just by editing global.css in the theme folder but i have a single module thats unique and
it has settings where only a few modules are installed in my theme. Please tell me How to get my theme to appear on user end. So far i chose my theme under Appearance admin end. But its only showing my new colored buttons.
Why are my modules in their positions not appearing. All that it shows on user end are the default template of prestshop still but with a mix with my gold new buttons. There's something not completey moved into my root prestashop folder or something maybe. Any help is appreciated, this is a urgent matter because a clients request to get this done as of yesterday.

Thanks so much.

Paul-

Hi
I am guessing what is a problem but if i am wrong could you be more specific.
What module and where it is not appearing ? Some screen-shot or link to test site could help.

So my guess you are trying to place module which work in left/right column to lets say footer.
To do that you need to add following code to modules php file

function hookFooter($params)
{
  return $this->hookRightColumn($params);
} 

Other tip is if you don't need to edit php files to copy modules tpl file to your
theme folder so path is yourtheme/modules/some module/some module.tpl.
Here is link http://www.ecartservice.net/06082009/customising-prestashop-module-templates/

You also can try to delete all files prestashop/tools/smarty/compile except index.php.

Hi
What module and where it is not appearing ? Some screen-shot or link to test site could help.

So my guess you are trying to place module which work in left/right column to lets say footer.
{
} 

Other tip is if you don't need to edit php files to copy modules tpl file to your
Here is link http://www.ecartservice.net/06082009/customising-prestashop-module-templates/

You also can try to delete all files prestashop/tools/smarty/compile except index.php.

Well what does this do If i delete all the files in prestashop/tools/smarty/compile except for index.php ?

Basically i had all my mod positions in place and many just completely cut out on admin end using the positions in admin end. I created this stemplate first using WAMP on my laptop then now i need to upload the theme folder which i did into the live ftp site. But it shows my presta shop template in admin > appearances but I selected it thinking it has everything in that single theme folder of mine I uploaded and chose it but prestashop on the live site is just displaying the default modules all over again except my new gold buttons.

Are you saying I need to copy over some sorta of configuration file into the live site folder so it just reads the configuration and layout of positions I chose on my testing side so it displays matching what I arranged?

Paul-

Hi

{
} 

You also can try to delete all files Prestashop/tools/smarty/compile except index.php.

Also i might have missed what you said above or misinterpreted but, are you saying that in my themes directory i can create a "modules" folder in there then just copy and paste what I am using in my theme from the default modules into this modules folder in my new themes folder?

Also I have already done the admin side positioning with the modules in each hook I want. The problem
is that when i brought in and chose my appearance in admin for my new theme template it didn't make much of the change except for thos ebuttons. And my arrangement of where my modules and new modules were are not in the place I had them in. So are you saying modules always stay positioned and won't memorize my positioning after I've create an arrangement and updated colors of buttons etc?

I had it already configured... so I guess it just isn't memorizing anything about module arrangements and only
of course basic image and button color replacements. Let me know which sentences I am correct on and which I am not.

Then let me know of 3 solutions that could be causing my template theme to not appear as I have designed and arranged it. Thanks again.

Final question i know the modules are made of *.tpl files (and php files) and are based around Smarty processing with those *.tpl files, but I haven't quite learned smarty yet i hear its easy though, and when I do what will my knowledge of smarty enable me to do further?
With smarty knowledge will it Just enable me to change the "look" or the "function" of modules?

Paul-

Hi

{
} 

You also can try to delete all files Prestashop/tools/smarty/compile except index.php.

Also i might have missed what you said above or misinterpreted but, are you saying that in my themes directory i can create a "modules" folder in there then just copy and paste what I am using in my theme from the default modules into this modules folder in my new themes folder?

Also I have already done the admin side positioning with the modules in each hook I want. The problem
is that when i brought in and chose my appearance in admin for my new theme template it didn't make much of the change except for thos ebuttons. And my arrangement of where my modules and new modules were are not in the place I had them in. So are you saying modules always stay positioned and won't memorize my positioning after I've create an arrangement and updated colors of buttons etc?

I had it already configured... so I guess it just isn't memorizing anything about module arrangements and only
of course basic image and button color replacements. Let me know which sentences I am correct on and which I am not.

Then let me know of 3 solutions that could be causing my template theme to not appear as I have designed and arranged it. Thanks again.

Final question i know the modules are made of *.tpl files (and php files) and are based around Smarty processing with those *.tpl files, but I haven't quite learned smarty yet i hear its easy though, and when I do what will my knowledge of smarty enable me to do further?
With smarty knowledge will it Just enable me to change the "look" or the "function" of modules?

Paul-

To clarify , my template IS appearing BUT only the gold buttons I designed. I had a whole arrangement of modules
and those modules are not in place on user view. My new template is chosen in admin end > appearances but those modules showing on user end are back to default like it didn't memorize what modules I have in there and what I have taken out etc.

Does this have to do with the modules you said to just copy and paste into mu new theme template directory within a created folder called Modules?

Paul-

Topic title modified - please don't write in capitals or write generic titles like "Help Needed"

Oh ok.

I prefer to find a web designer developer that knows prestashop that I am can team up with and find someone who can be Receptive to few questions just here and there as needed on a chat messenger to learn how to integrate themes, and more detail about what files go where in the prestashop root and themes folders.

The case ha sbeen mention above this post which is more clear what I would like to learn about.

1. I have all this time made a copy of the default theme and just modified it with design,colors, images and modules arranged in certain hooks.

2. I want to get my new theme to appear completely not just partially. The default modules are there with my new theme installed which is the problem. I can carry over my folder in modules a new one i downloaded that works but is not displaying. Is there some else I need to do in addition to copying my module folder into the root>modules folder?

For example lets say you have theme named Gold module Tags.

Module Tags must be installed and "hooked" (it appears in Back Office >> Modules >> Positions)
so it can be shown in front office.
If you made some changes to blocktags.php and blocktags.tpl on local Wamp server, you need to copy whole
folder blocktags and replace original on live server in root/modules.

If you just changed blocktags.tpl you can do same as above but better practice is to make foldes modules and blocktags
in Gold theme.So you have path root/themes/Gold/modules/blocktags and in this folder you copy just blocktags.tpl.

If you just added some styles to global.css like

div#tags_block_left h4{background:gold;color:white;border:1px solid}

you don't need to copy any modules files.

And i suggest you download some free themes just to see folder structure and installation guides.

For example lets say you have theme named Gold module Tags.

Module Tags must be installed and "hooked" (it appears in Back Office >> Modules >> Positions)
so it can be shown in front office.
If you made some changes to blocktags.php and blocktags.tpl on local Wamp server, you need to copy whole
folder blocktags and replace original on live server in root/modules.

If you just changed blocktags.tpl you can do same as above but better practice is to make foldes modules and blocktags
in Gold theme.So you have path root/themes/Gold/modules/blocktags and in this folder you copy just blocktags.tpl.

If you just added some styles to global.css like
div#tags_block_left h4{background:gold;color:white;border:1px solid}

you don't need to copy any modules files.

And i suggest you download some free themes just to see folder structure and installation guides.

Ok that's more clear. I understand. So in other words I HAVE TO go in to admin and set my hooks for the modules even if I prearranged them in Admin end on my testing wamp environment off the live server (?)

But what does this cause or does creating a modules folder in my themes folder directly make it recognize anything different as opposed to just using the default location of the modules folder in the hierarchy of the root cms installation?

Paul-

Ok that's more clear. I understand. So in other words I HAVE TO go in to admin and set my hooks for the modules even if I prearranged them in Admin end on my testing wamp environment off the live server (?)

Yes because that information is in database (ps_hook_module table)

But what does this cause or does creating a modules folder in my themes folder directly make it recognize anything different as opposed to just using the default location of the modules folder in the hierarchy of the root cms installation?

Imagine you have 5 themes and each one have different codes in tpl file.If have modules folder in your theme folders
you can easily switch between them and user have easier installation of your theme.If you don't have that folder you need to overwrite file in root / modules every time you want to change a theme.

Just with changing modules tpl files and editing styles in global.css you can make a lot of changes,
but sometimes you will have to change modules php files.And that you must replace original files.

Yes because that information is in database (ps_hook_module table)

Imagine you have 5 themes and each one have different codes in tpl file.If have modules folder in your theme folders
you can easily switch between them and user have easier installation of your theme.If you don't have that folder you need to overwrite file in root / modules every time you want to change a theme.

Just with changing modules tpl files and editing styles in global.css you can make a lot of changes,
but sometimes you will have to change modules php files.And that you must replace original files.

Cool, sounds like it takes my module choices and arrangements on screen of my modules chosen if they are in my new themes > modules instead of root> modules folder so it matches my arrangement in my wamp testing environment.
What type of typical adds and edits of code can be made to TPL or php template mod files?

Hi

{
} 

Also what does deleting all the files within prestashop/tools/smarty/compile "except" index.php do for me?

hi, i have noticed your msg and i have come across the link mentioned, but there can be problems with some modules that you copied to a module folder in a theme file as described by some comments within that article. http://www.ecartservice.net/06082009/customising-prestashop-module-templates/ . I am also working on a new theme and am figuring out whether i should copy the entire module directory to my new theme directory at this point of time :P It is a cleaner solution, it seems but there can be repercussions if some hard coding are required in some other related files.

hi, i have noticed your msg and i have come across the link mentioned, but there can be problems with some modules that you copied to a module folder in a theme file as described by some comments within that article. http://www.ecartservice.net/06082009/customising-prestashop-module-templates/ . I am also working on a new theme and am figuring out whether i should copy the entire module directory to my new theme directory at this point of time :P It is a cleaner solution, it seems but there can be repercussions if some hard coding are required in some other related files.

No one has still answered my question:

if i import and setup my new template I designed with the Modules I wanted specifically arranged on my wampserver environment on my laptop for testing... but when I uploaded my theme all to the LIVE SERVER the theme has been chosen inside presta Admin >appearances to install it, my buttons colors are only showing with default modules now....

Where are my modules? I do Not want the default modules and those positions, so what do I do?.
I want what i did... so in other words Do I have to go through admin again and manually rearrange my modules again after all that I work I did? A simple yes or no would be all I need because I know how to position hooks already thats old. This is a great question for those who are developing PrestaShop too.

Yes, if you install and rearrange modules on your local test site, uploading your theme to your live site doesn't install and rearrange modules on your live site, since they are stored in your database, not your theme. You must manually upload any new modules from your local site, log in to your live site, go the Modules tab, install the new modules, then go to Modules > Positions and rearrange the modules like you have them on your local site. A faster, though less safe way, is to export the ps_module, ps_module_country, ps_module_group, ps_hook_module and ps_module_hook_exceptions tables on your local site and import them into your live site using phpMyAdmin.

Yes, if you install and rearrange modules on your local test site, uploading your theme to your live site doesn't install and rearrange modules on your live site, since they are stored in your database, not your theme. You must manually upload any new modules from your local site, log in to your live site, go the Modules tab, install the new modules, then go to Modules > Positions and rearrange the modules like you have them on your local site. A faster, though less safe way, is to export the ps_module, ps_module_country, ps_module_group, ps_hook_module and ps_module_hook_exceptions tables on your local site and import them into your live site using phpMyAdmin.

Thanks I will try this out with the export and restore of these tables to the Production database. Menawhile thanks for answering the question on modules arrangement etc.