What is [1]%d[/1] in a translatable string?

kcpau

In the blockcart module translation there is this string :

There are [1]%d[/1] items in your cart.

The Simplified Chinese translation that comes with the system only has %d without the [1]..[/1].  As a result, when there are two or more items in the cart, the Simplified Chinese version shows 0 items.  When I added back the [1]..[/1], the display is correct.

I could not find the [1]..[/1] notation mentioned in any documentation.  I thought the %d is sufficient.  Can someone tell me what they are for?

There are instructions at the top of the page when editing translations in the Back Office:

Some of these expressions use this special syntax: %d.
You MUST use this syntax in your translations. Here are several examples

• "There are %d products": "%d" will be replaced by a number.
  • "List of pages in %s": "%s" will be replaced by a string.
  • "Feature: %1$s (%2$d values)": The numbers enable you to reorder the variables when necessary.

But the [1]..[/1] notation is not described in the instruction.  is [1]%d[/1] the same as %1$d?  If that is the case, the string

There are [1]%d[/1] items in your cart.

only has one value to substitute, why does it need to have the position specified??

Thanks

I have no idea. I've never heard of that notation before. You can remove it and just use %d.

I'm afraid, no, you cannot!

If you remove it, the variable won't be replaced - lIke in the wrong Chinese translation the user mentioned. It indicates a tag, often replaced by a link, and you have to keep it. For more informations please have a look at the Crowdin translators instructions.

Just another example without a numeric placeholder:

Please make sure you\'ve chosen a [1]payment method[/1] and accepted the [2]terms and conditions[/2].

At runtime this will be replaced for the customer with links to the payment methods' page or the terms of trade.

Other examples:

Not you? [1]Log out[/1]
You can also [1]download your invoice[/1]
To disable it, go to[1]Product Settings[/1]

Hopefully it becomes clearer now for you.

However, the questioned translation item seems to be outdated in any case. The current wording is:

There are %products_count% items in your cart.

The PrestaShop developers are unbeatable in creating new translation items with every new release. :D

• 1 month later...