Important Selling Option Question: Add a single product upgrade

techtech

Afternoon,

I sell a sandal and want the customer to have the option to add a clip accessory to either/both sandal. Thus the sandal purchased could have No Clips, 1 Clip, or 2 Clips.

Here is the problem:

The combinations generator would make an option for all 3 but I only have 2 sandals in stock sometimes. So if I use the combinations generator I would potentially created 6 sandals for purchase but really the sandal stock is 2.

Is there a way to have a simple feature that allows an additional purchase item on a product that does not go into the combinations generator?

Thank you for reading :)

If you have one quanity of sandals and another quantity of clips, it may be better for you to create a "Sandal" product and a separate "Clip" product, then create three separate products, one with no clip, a pack with a sandal and a clip and another pack with a sandal and two clips. You can put that "Clip" product in a hidden category if you don't want it displayed separately. On the Preferences > Products tab, there is a setting there to "Decrement products in pack only", so every time a pack is ordered, the quantity of sandals and quantity of clips will be decremented.

• Like 1

@rocky

Thanks for your reply. I actually have a large amount of accessories that I could add to a sandal. I'm surprised there isn't an option to have a product with a simple accessory drop-down to buy with it without the combinations generator making 1,000,000 options haha.

Honestly, the combinations on some custom products could be 10,000,000 variations. Those would all be line item combinations in the backend that would be out of stock in 1 purchase.

Any other ideas? 

If you don't like my first idea, the only other option is to scrap the pack idea and just use accessories. You'll have the main product, then an "Accessories" slider with all the accessories along with "Add to cart" buttons. That means the customer would have to click "Add to cart" on the sandal and then "Add to cart" again on the clip. The products will be displayed separately in the order though instead of linked together.

@rocky

Thanks for the ideas again. You're a big help. (I'm a little confused how an ecommerce platform doesn't have this simple idea in place. Buy a "jacket" and easily add "cuff links" and/or "pocket accent". Maybe it's too advanced an idea hahahaa.)

Have a good one!

Thanks. I can easily make a solution. Just worried the customers do not want to add something 8 times to a cart then if they make a mistake they just use another company out of annoyance. (Luckily customer satisfaction is extremely high.)