How to generate .htaccess file?

aseemakash2015

Hi Friends,

My site was showing 500 server error.

I checked many things but had no luck.

But Now when I visited my FTP and checked for .htaccess file in the root of prestashop and tried Downloading it , It show No such file exists.

I am a newbie, Is my problem related to it? Any help will be appreciated.

I am a newbie, Is my problem related to it? Any help will be appreciated.

I am afraid part of the knowledge that you lack is not Prestashop specific. Copying a .htaccess file is not always a good idea - specially if the shop is on a different subdirectory on the new server.

You can generate a .htaccess file in the backoffice at Preferences -> SEO & Urls. There you should scroll down and press Save in the Scheme of Urls section.

However, 500 errors are usually not related to .htaccess but instead to a PHP error. To get more information you should enable the development mode so that errors will be displayed. See https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/224525-how-to-turn-on-error-reporting-for-debug-information-blank-page-500-internal-server-error/

along with musicmasters tip on enabling ps debug mode to find php error, .htaccess typically has permission, 664 unlike other files of 644.  This means it is 'hidden'.  Most FTP programs will allow you to enable 'show hidden files'.  If this option is not enabled then .htaccess will not be seen.