What is the best way to manage inventory when selling bulk tea by packs of grams?

Greetings,

I am trying very hard to set up my shop that sells kratom powder in the most efficient way.

I sell bulk kratom in 50, 100, 250, 500, and 1000 gram bags and want to track the inventory from a common stock of grams in a warehouse.

Currently I have created a product like: "Green Malay Kratom" with combinations based on "weight in grams" (50, 100, 250, 500, and 1000) and then specify the quantity of each combination.

The problem is, If I have 1000 g in real inventory I will have to specify these quantities of each combination to cover all possibilities:

50g = 20

100g = 10

250g = 4

500g = 2

1000g = 1

But, if someone orders the whole 1000g the other combinations do not automatically adjust (in this case to 0) based on that purchase. If someone buys the 1000g then there really is no more product in inventory.

----

As a solution, I have attempted to create a product called "Gram of Red Bali - Kratom" and then created another product called "Red Bali - Kratom Test" which is a "pack of existing products" made of 50 units of "Gram of Red Bali - Kratom".

I figured that I could just associate "Gram of Red Bali - Kratom" with a warehouse and control the amount of grams available by adding them to the warehouse and then create a "pack of existing products" for each of the 5 quantities I want to sell.

BUT, this would require me to have 5 different "pack of existing products" for each type of kratom I want to sell instead of having only one product with a dropdown listing each combination and its price like it is now.

??? HOW can I create ONE product that has a dropdown menu with 5 different "packs of existing products" for each of my 5 weights???

---

With my goals in mind:

1. have each sale of X number of grams automatically decrease my inventory of other sizes of grams based on ONE total number of actual grams in stock

2. be able to control each product's stock of total grams in a warehouse that automatically updates the product's inventory of "pack of existing products"

What are your suggestions (step by step if you don't mind?) as to a best practice for this type of store?

Thank You for Your Time and Effort and Attention,

Aaron

rhizOHM.co
"Connect to the Source!"

• 2 months later...

There is no way to solve this using just an out of the box PrestaShop installation. 

I think it would be pretty easy to hack together a solution with some modifications to some the core files but that is always a pain as you have to either never upgrade or repeat the process every time you do. 

There's no out-of-the-box solution for adding pack dropdowns, but you can add the packs as accessories of the main product and then disable the pack products, so they aren't listed, but they are still accessible all from the main product page.

Sorry, I'm always juggling so much work, so it's hard to find enough time to write a full guide with screenshots. ;)

I'll just quickly write a guide without screenshots here:

1. Go to the Catalog > Products tab and click the "Add new product" button. It will default to the type "Standard product". Enter a name like "Rice". If you want an undiscounted price per gram displayed, go to the "Prices" tab and enter it in the "Retail price with tax" field. Also, untick "Available for order" to force customers to choose a pack instead of buying the main product. If you want to hide the price of the main product, untick "Show price" so that customers can only see the pack prices. Click the "Save" button.

2. Click the "Add new product" button again, but this time, choose "Pack of existing products" as the type. In the "Add product in your pack" field, search for the "Rice" product and then select it. Enter the quantity such as 100 and name such as "100g of Rice". On the "Prices" tab, enter the "Retail price with tax" for the pack. Change the "Visibility" to "Nowhere" so that customers cannot find the pack products in listings and search, only through the main product. Click the "Save" button.

3. Add more packs for each of the available sizes.

4. Return to the main "Rice" product and then go to the "Associations" tab. Enter each of the pack names such as "100g of Rice" and then select them to add them as accessories of the main product. Once done, click the "Save" button.

5. Go to Preferences > Products tab and make sure that "Default pack stock management" is set to "Decrement products in pack only".

6. The packs should then display on the main product page in the "Accessories" section. To rename that to "Pack options", go to the Localization > Translations tab, select "Front office translations, your theme and "English (English)" in the dropdown and then click the "Modify" button. Scroll down to the "product" section, click the header to expand the translations, and change the translation for "Accessories" to "Pack options" and then click the "Save" button. Update the translation for any other installed languages too.

That's it. You should now have a "Rice" product with packs of "100g", etc displayed in a "Pack options" section. When customers browse your categories and search products, they will only find the main product, but they can view all the packs on the main product's page.

• Thanks 1