How do I edit the front page

I hope someone can help me.  I am new to prestashop and I am trying to figure out how to edit the front page.

I do not even know where to find access to it in this program. I see where the cms pages are listed to edit other pages, but the home page is not listed there so I do not know where to find it.

I am trying to switch from Magento where each page you can edit and put whatever information you want on the pages but I do not see anything like this for the home page here.

I would like to add text and to edit the layout of the front page so if someone can point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Steven

Prestashop uses modules for editing and adding content, you can change the position of the modules Modules  > Positions.

If you with to edit the actual theme, simply go to your theme folder and edit the TPL and CSS files. You'll see header.tpl, footer.tpl, 

You'll find tpl files for product pages, category pages and all areas of Prestashop. 

Thank your quick reply, but I am not sure I understand what you are saying about how to edit.

I have the default template installed and it doesn't appear to allow any editing so I cannot find any way to add or change anything.

I cannot even find where to ad images to the banner on the home page.

You mention  the " TPL and CSS files, but I do not see them or any place that they are listed to edit or even see them.

Please advise.

Thank you,

Steven

You are going to need to read the help files that PS has available. We all need to start learning somewhere and if you wish to modify Prestashop you will need to learn about editing and positioning modules, most of this can be done from your backoffice with no programming.

For more advanced edits you will need to edit files, just like other web sites.

Prestashop uses .tpl files for display, they are very much like .html files, but they also work with the smarty display system. http://www.smarty.net/

I would start with the help files http://doc.prestashop.com/display/PS16/PrestaShop+1.6+documentation That will give you all the basics.

Thank you for your reply, I think that was most of the answer I was looking for.

I am obviously new to prestashop so I know nothing about it, I do know how to work in magento so I am not a total idiot, but format is so different I guess I need to learn like I did with magento.

I am not grasping the module concept mostly so I think that is what is throwing me off.

Thank you for your help, I will read the help files and links you sent and hope I can then figure it out.

Steven

I have read the manual for what I am trying to do, however I think I see some of my problem.

The manual says that I need to use the theme configurator.  However, I do not see it anywhere in my admin section. I have looked where it is supposed to be, where the theme is. But all that is visible is the logo section, I do not see any of the 4 sections that are supposed to be accessable.  I do not see the theme configurator button or the advanced setting button anywhere.  In the instructions it mentions that the configurator can or cannot be installed, but I do not see it anywhere in the modules installed or not installed.

I am using version 1.5.6.1 so can you please advise how I can proceed?

Thank you,

Steven

Guest locen

You can find THEME CONFIGURATOR in MODULES AND SERVICES and there is a section where you can write module's name

Thank you for your reply, I think you are correct, I was using the 1.6manual and not realizing it is not the same. I thought the manuals would not be that different.

That said, I still do not see anywhere to edit the the front page.  I know you said it was in the "modules and services, but all I see is the modules drop down menu and there is nothing in it that has the configuration for the front page.  I am going to attach a picture of the menu section that shows the section that I think you want me to go to.

I am sorry but I am new to this so I am not very smart with prestashop yet. 

thank you again.

Steven

Edited by sssteven (see edit history)

OK, I am getting very frustrated at this.  I am not an idiot, I have built 4 websites in magento so I don't know what to say.

I CANNOT find anyway to edit the contents of my front page.

I am using v1.6.1 and there is

MODULES-

modules

modules and themes

Then there is

PREFERENCES

Ther

Themes.     IN this section it shows the theme and the place to add LOGOS    LOGOS AND INVOICE AND EMAIL LOGO  and ICONS.  There is also ADVANCED SETTINGS  but that seems to only be what information can be in the left or right columns..

I DO NOT SEE ANYWHERE THAT WOULD ALLOW ME TO EDIT OR INPUT TEXT ON THE FRONT PAGE OF THE DEFAULT THEME.

There is a paragraph written in Latin there so there has to be SOMEWHERE to edit it.

I am losing it, it cannot be that hard to find this, but for some reason I CANNOT.

Please HELP.

Thank you,

Steven

THEMES AND MODULES

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.   It turns out I am not nuts, the module was NOT installed, so that is why it never showed up.

I had seen this page when I first installed the program some time ago, but in this install it never was showing and I didn't know why.

Forward and onward,  thanks again for your help.

Ok, I got the pictures to be edited, but I do not see anywhere that the text is to edit. 

There is  a paragraph of Latin on the front page that needs to be redone,  I am hoping it is somewhere easy to find when I am told of the correct place to look.

You have given me great advice so far, so I am sure you know where this is that I cannot find.

Thanks much,

Steven