Site Ranking & traffic drop immediately after switching to prestashop, Help!!!!

acnnacnn

• 2 weeks later...

As mentionned previously you needed to plan ahead with your change and setup 301 redirects.

I'd suggest you:
1. Setup your 301 redirects in your .htaccess file
2. Rebuild your google sitemaps xml file and submit it to Google Webmaster Tools
3. Check your robots.txt file and make sure it is setup correctly
4. Build backlinks to your products using the new URLs

The drop might only be temporary, as Google will have found that the links structure and everything has changed. If you maintain a good traffic and unique visitor flow your rankings will go back up again.

1. redirect your old urls to your new pages.
2. make sure .htaccess is activated so you are displaying friendly urls
3. start building your pages
4. get all your meta tags and titles in place on each product page

You should expect a drop in traffic since the new pages will take some time to get filtered in the search engines. Meanwhile, to make up for the short loss, build, build, build...new pages. So when they all kick in your traffic will increase and hopefully surpass your previous traffic.

Edit your .htaccess to deal with 404s..ie they don't point to nothing.

Good luck.

Webmaster Tools (Google) should be your first stop. If you don't have an account there sign up for one. From there Google will tell you what they see wrong with the site. Most likely if your links have changed then you'll need to let Google know about it. Don't forget Yahoo/Bing as well.

• 4 weeks later...

If you've got access to webmaster tools, you can look under the crawl errors tab and find all of the pages that have displayed a 404 recently - that will tell you which pages people are trying to access. Make sure you 301 redirect those to the most relevant page, your rankings should recover with time (but it will take time).

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I recently have switched magento to prestashop and I've no idea why my site ranking and traffic drop a lot ... anyone can help and advise what should I do for SEO?

Thanks.

My site is selling fashion jewelry and target to US customers.

Hello,

Magento and PrestaShop has different URL structure. The drop of traffic is expected thing after moving to a new platform. You should work to transfer the weight of your old pages to the same pages with new URL.

As mentionned previously you needed to plan ahead with your change and setup 301 redirects.

I'd suggest you:
1. Setup your 301 redirects in your .htaccess file
2. Rebuild your google sitemaps xml file and submit it to Google Webmaster Tools
3. Check your robots.txt file and make sure it is setup correctly
4. Build backlinks to your products using the new URLs

The drop might only be temporary, as Google will have found that the links structure and everything has changed. If you maintain a good traffic and unique visitor flow your rankings will go back up again.

Good tips