Need customers to not buy x items, but a quantity RANGE

Goodmorning everybody,

Thanks for reading my post.

I've searched extensively all around the web in search of a solution for my following problem:

We sell products on our local community website to our fixed customer base (which are also the shareholders/owners of the website). We buy in wholesale qty's from our suppliers, based on their MOQ's. I.e. a supplier ships item X in wholesale packing, consisting of 12 retail packing and our customers then buy n retail packing. Our problem is now that we buy at standard intervals from our suppliers, and that we therefore need a method to reach these MOQ's within these timeframes. 

As a community, in order to facilitate this process, we've agreed upon the following solution: 

We want our customers to be able to add not just n pieces of an item to the shopping basket, but a quantity range. This range consist out of a Minimum Order Amount the customer always wants to receive and a Maximum Order Amount that the customer wouldn't mind to buy if that helps us to reach the suppliers MOQ. Furthermore, we would like to have an indicator in the shopping basket informing the customer on the percentage his/her order contributes to reaching the supplier MOQ. This indicator would work as an incentive for our customers to determine their Maximum amount.

For example, a shopping cart could then maybe look like attached image. In this situation, a customer needs 1 Faded Short Sleeve T-shirts (Minimum Order Amount), but wouldn't mind to receive 3 (Maximum Order Amount). When entering the Minimum Order Amount, the system calculates that this qty is 20% of the suppliers MOQ. The customer then can agree to help reach us the MOQ sooner by adding a Maximum Order Amount of 3.

Does anyone here know of such a functionality / add-on or have pointers that would get us nearer to a solution for our problem?

Many thanks in advance for any help,

Best regards,

Redmar

post-1226744-0-35625300-1459405583_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

How do you plan to deal with payment? Basically the issue I'm seeing is lets say I want 4 widgets but I'm willing to take as many as 7 widgets. I assume I would pay for 4 at checkout and then if I ended up with 6 you would charge me for the extra two in a later transaction?

If that is the case then I think just having the maximum or extra as an attribute would work.

Another possibility would be to look at some of the modules that allow you to sell products based on surface area -- if they use a width and depth system it might be easy to modify that for your purpose although I've never looked at those modules so not sure.

• 2 months later...