Talk Me Into It.. Magento -> Prestashop

Hey guys... I have a rather large and established site running Magento. While Magento is very robust feature-wise, it frequently has me pulling my hair out just to make the simplest of changes.. And updates are a nightmare...

I am toying with the idea of jumping over to Prestashop. What is stopping me is the amount of features it lacks out of the box. Its going to require a good amount of money for paid modules.

I understand this is a Prestashop forum, so I expect biased responses.. 

But..

Why do I see article after article stating Magento is better in SEO than PS? Is that even with SEO Expert module installed?

Why should/shouldnt I migrate to Prestashop?

Has anyone else migrated over from magento?

Is anyone thinking of LEAVING Prestashop and going to Magento?

Updates in prestashop are a nightmare too...

The only reason to migrate to prestashop should be the costs.

The cost of modules, custom programming, and hosting are less in Prestashop.

I think Magento is a good solution, but Prestashop is more affordable and you can find very good info in the forum

Those people really have good info about migration statistics

http://www.shopping-cart-migration.com/blog/61-must-know-tips/46770-top-shopping-carts-e-merchants-migrate-to-cart2cart-in-house-info

Strange as it may seem, the most popular shopping platform of 2014 is, also, the most unpopular one. Namely - Magento has been ranked number 1 in both most migrated to and most migrated from

When I look at a 'featured' magento shop, what do I not see?

performance, i.e. CCC .css/.js and certiainly no .js being loaded bottom.  From a pure 'above the fold' page render there is not a better public cms than PS.

as for catalog, PS rules at country level, you can publish your catalog of products categories by country.  PS is super strong at supporting multiple languages and currencies because it was build upon many different countries being able to use it.

Converting from one platform to the other is not for those with a weak constitution or limited experience.  There are cart to cart solutions you can find that work very well.

So what to do?  Download and install current stable and install on your existing server, subdomain or something you can navigate to.  Here you can try different things to determine a strategy to move existing to PS.  Only then would you be able to determine how to move forward and if you hired a reputable company to do the work after this you would have good idea of the scope of work.

happy day, el

List all your worries and we will confirm or deny them. 

Should you move to PrestaShop? I think - not yet. If you can wait a half year or so. We all are waiting for PS1.7 which promises a lot of good stuff. 

Is Magento better on SEO than PrestaShop? It depends. Seo is strongly impacted by theme you choose. So if you choose poorly written theme, you SEO will be bad. 

Updates form version like 1.6.0.9 to 1.6.0.10 are easy. Updates from 1.5.x 1.6.x can be  nightmare. 

A lot of things can be done with the help of modules. Most modules are not free but you can find some free good quality modules in this forum.

If somebody is leaving PrestaShop, I do not think that they are going to Magento. Usually they go to Shopify or some other e-commerce platforms. 

Anything else?