External Imageurl Source

Velulix

Hi @ll,

I'm not sure if this will be a solvable case but I'm looking for a way to use the ImageURL from an external source.
When I insert the path for the image (e.g. http://www.myexternalhoster-url.com/images/products/example-image.jpg ) into my import-file it will be stored into my own webspace.

So is there a way to modify the code to use the insert source instead of save the image?
Background: there is a central library for product information I want to use, but their policy restricts to store the images local...

Kind regards,

Lutz

Edited by Veganarama (see edit history)

Sorry, little mistake. "Their" not "there" ;-)

Some manufacturers store their media data to a central webspace, like a cloud.
So if you want to use those data you have to get the images from this point, but it's not allowed to save them to your webspace. You need to get it directly from there. I hope it's better explained now.

For Magento I found a plugin for this! :)
http://shop.conlabz.de/en/eco-inform.html

Yea, i'm not concerned with the difference between there and their, I knew what you meant.  I was confused by your usage of 'their policy restricts to store the images local'

Usually they do not want merchants to hotlink to their images, since it chews up their bandwidth.  Are you sure that is their policy?

As for that magento plugin, I don't see anything in that says images are stored remotely in the cloud...  You should find out from that plugin author if as part of the sync process, if those product images are being pulled down into Magento.

However if you really do need to hotlink to those images in the cloud, then obviously you will need to change how product images are referenced in Prestashop database and in the code.  Not something a simple forum post is going to explain