I Am Struggling With Prestshop Cloud

susieb

Question

I'm new to setting up a website and chose prestashop. I downloaded a theme that would have worked for me ( ticked the cloud and the responsive boxes on the addin page) The theme is installed but it has no configure theme button only advanced configuration. I get an error message when I try live edit and I can't find the place where I change the main images on the home page. I thought this would be a lot more straight forward as I've used management systems before and found it all very easy .. this is something else. The support has been lacking so far so I'm hoping someone can advise.

Shall I attempt a template refund? Shall I use a downloadable version on Prestashop? Am losing the will to live!

Thanks in advance

3 answers to this question

Hi

Welcome to forum and sorry to hear you have issues with PrestaShop.

But that is no reason to loosing will to live, there are lot more worse things and people do not complain.

So first check http://doc.prestashop.com/display/PS16/User+Guide for some info.

Maybe http://doc.prestashop.com/display/PS16/Front+Office+Features+modules#FrontOfficeFeaturesmodules-Imagesliderforyourhomepage for home slider 

or http://doc.prestashop.com/display/PS16/Front+Office+Features+modules#FrontOfficeFeaturesmodules-Themeconfigurator for static images.

Note this is for default theme but could be same for theme you have.

You did not said what theme it is. Maybe it have some documentation to guide you.

And some themes have their own theme configuration module where lot of options are in one place.

One suggestion to not use live edit but try with Modules  >  Positions to rearrange modules.

Last thing to mention using downloadable version on local computer could give you more freedom to test

but Cloud is also good.

I too am setting up Prestashop Cloud for the first time, and while it does have a lot of features, and looks slick on the front end to the consumer,  I have found the whole setup process to be very confusing and non-intuitive, and I am an IT professional who's been setting up websites for folks for 20 years.

The way that Prestashop visual configuration works in general is this: imagine your template is a china cabinet with hooks across the bottom of each shelf to display your teacup collection. The Prestashop template has "hooks" as well, which determine what is displayed at what location on the page. Intuitively one might think to change the contents of a hook, you go to the template configuration to change it, but that is not how it works.  Instead you go to the configuration of the module that is hanging on the hook. The content of the modules are changed in the Modules > Modules Menu.  The page arrangement is changed in the Modules > Positions menu.

For example, in the default Prestashop template, there is an image slider near the top of the home page, with two more images to the right of the slider. In the Modules > Positions page there is a list of hooks.  In the default theme if you scroll down to the displayTopColumn section, you see two modules--Image Slider and Theme Configurator. These are two modules that are positioned on the "TopColumn" hook.

To change what is displayed in the slider, open and configure the Image Slider module in the Modules > Modules menu. To change the images on the right side, open and configure the Theme Configurator module in the Modules > Modules menu. In the theme configurator, the images are arranged according to what hook they are attached to.

I hope this helps.

Edited by MacSnood (see edit history)