Any Way to Downgrade?

I just got a new client. She has had a store plagued with problems from day one.

Turns out, her web designer has been upgrading with EVERY new Beta release! On a live store, with a lot of traffic. AND, the designer did not do the upgrades correctly, so settings and other essential things were often reset.

So she has a store that is buggy, and full of issues. She really needs it to be running 1.25, instead of 1.3 Beta. Is there any way to safely downgrade this store without messing things up?

Otherwise, I'm afraid it is going to be a very bumpy ride to nurse this store along until we have a stable install of 1.3. We set up a test site, so we have the ability to at least minimize the impact by screening upgrades first, but I'd rather we could get it repaired more effectively than just rolling the dice on Beta releases.

Any help or other ideas on how to cope with this appreciated.

Laura

I am not aware of a way to downgrade, it sounds like a sticky situation.

Sounds like she need someone who knows what they are doing...

The only other option I can think of is exporting the data from the current site to a 1.2.5 site, which is not going to be easy.

Her budget is limited, so a rebuild into 1.25 isn't possible.

Not sure what kind of DB changes were made between 1.25 and 1.3, and don't really have the time to do a file comparison to check.

I'm not HIGHLY experienced with Presta, but know enough other systems, and have a solid grounding in working with dynamic structures, so at least I know which instructions to read and pay attention to!

Laura

AUGH! Worse and worse! She wasn't even running Betas! She was running SUBVERSION!

I'm beyond shocked, I don't know a single responsible professional who would EVER do that!

And now the client is stuck with the results.

Laura

You should try to downgrade to the latest beta release then. The data structure should be similar enough between betas and subversion.

On the test server you can try just using the same database with a fresh installation of 1.2.5. In the beta or subversion installation you should have an sql file for the upgrade. Should not be hard to locate the one used for upgrade from 1.2.5. You should check SQLs with ALTER TABLE and UPDATE `table` syntax, these are the ones that will cause incompatibilities, reversing them should fix the problem.

I did look at the .sql files for differences between 1.2.5 and 1.3.0.3, and there are three files with changes. Enough changes that I got lost trying to decipher them all. I'm good with structures, and ok with elementary coding stuff, but I'm in no way a coder, so I get lost if it is too tricky. I think the amount of time involved in rolling it back to Stable is not going to be affordable for the client, or something I can do and NOT charge for.

I'll look at rolling back to beta though, and test that on the test server, at least it would be better than the current situation.

I'm still just appalled that anyone would do that.

Laura