Paypalapi Module - Send With Curl Method Failed?

sunnyb0y

Hello,

My client is using PrestaShop 1.5.4.1 in a site that uses the PayPal module (Developed by :PrestaShop, Version: 3.8.1) as a payment option.

She received some info from customers saying they were receiving error messages when trying to pay on her site with PayPal.

The website was migrated to a new server 2 weeks ago and initially there was an error with the PHP version on the new server and some things not working. When that was wound back to match the PHP version on the old server, things seemed fine. This may be related to the server move?

But when I test my end, I get no such errors - it works fine for me. I choose PayPal in step 5 of the checkout and I am taken to the PayPal website where I login and payment is processed by PayPal successfully and then I am redirected to the confirmation page on my client's website. That works as expected.

The error message she forwarded to me includes the following info which may mean something to an experienced user...

A client has encountered a problem with the module PayPalAPI, see the report:

...Lots of info, relating to the order...

Send with CURL method failed ! Error: SSL read: error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0), errno 104
Connect failed with fsockopen method

A screencap of the error is attached in case there is some other relevant info in there.

(removed)

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Edited by sunnyb0y (see edit history)

First, you should search and educate yourself on the POODLE exploit exposed in the past year, rendering SSL v3 ineffective.

https://www.openssl.org/~bodo/ssl-poodle.pdf

Second, the module you are using is too old and requires changes to the CURL function.  The new host has likely disabled the use of SSL v3 which is why the module no longer works.

As a result of the POODLE exploit, Paypal (and many other providers) have updated their security to prevent the use of SSL v3, rendering this module obsolete.  You will need to upgrade to the latest version of the Paypal Europe module, or you will need to patch this old module. 

Hello Bellini13, Thanks for the reply.

My understanding is that this version of PayPal module (3.8.1) is patched against Poodle (per info from one of your posts referenced in (https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/382023-urgent-upgrading-ssl30-to-tls-of-paypal/?hl=%2Bssl3+%2Bpaypal).

Just on that, when I do an SSL check for poodle for the website, it passes, saying:
POODLE (SSLv3): No, SSL 3 not supported
POODLE (TLS): No

Ah ok - it may be the age of the module and the new server. Wierdly it does not say an update is available in the PrestaShop backend. I will look at updating the module.

But - the module does work for me. As I said in the original post I am able to succesfully place an order and pay through PayPal, as can my client in testing. Just that she received some error reports from a few customers like the one shown.

Thanks for any further help.

Ah ok - it may be the age of the module and the new server. Wierdly it does not say an update is available in the PrestaShop backend. I will look at updating the module.

Prestashop hides modules based on your Shop's location.  So Europe module is likely being hidden from you.  Do a google search for "prestashop paypal module" and you would find this.  Just download directly and install the latest

http://addons.prestashop.com/en/payments-gateways-prestashop-modules/1748-paypal.html

Now if this Shop is not located in Europe, or perhaps it is location in USA, then you should probably convert to using the Paypal USA module instead.

I would also suggest you remove the screen shot in your original post as it contains some of the API information.

Ah I see. That's a shame its not based on usage / installation - in the backend the PayPal Europe moduled is installed but there is no mention of an update being available.

We are in Australia.

Thank you - noted and removed.

I updated the PayPal Europe module to the latest version and tested - again I was able to pay successfully via PayPal, it all seems to work fine for me. Hopefully that fixes it for the customers too.

Cheers for your help.