Technical Error: Unable To Save Adresses - Mod_Rewrite Apache 2.4.6

Hello,

I have just recently had to restore our store after the webserver we were hosted on had a failure, the site is mostly up and working now however on the single page checkout if you checkout as guest and press save after entering your details you get the following error: (this is with friendly URL's turned on"

"TECHNICAL ERROR: unable to save adresses

Details:
Error thrown: [object Object]
Text status: error"

If I turn friendly urls off the error does not appear and it works, other people who have a similar error have reported that they have switched to the 5 step checkout process which bypasses this error, if I switch to the 5 step process with friendly url's on I get a 404 error for the order page (it loads with friednly urls off).

On the seo & Urls page in backoffice next to Friednly urls I get the following message: "URL rewriting (mod_rewrite) is not active on your server, or it is not possible to check your server configuration. If you want to use Friendly URLs, you must activate this mod".

I have also tried recreating the .htacess file with no change in behavior.

I am running Apache 2.4.6 (on the prevouis webserver I was running an older version of apache), on doing some reading I believe that the way that mod_rewrite works on this version of apache may be different to 2.2, does anyone have it working with 2.4.6 and prestashop? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I have considered attempting to downgrade apache, but am afraid i'll break things further so I am happy to try a few more things first to avoid the downgrade, (if that is even where the problem lays).

*Edit: I am running Prestashop 1.5.6.3

Edited by flamedtofu (see edit history)