SEO expert. Risks and Benifits

Hi guys,
I was wondering how much risk we run into by letting our SEO expert access our server and back-panel of e-commcerce shop.
He/she will have access to our account information, monthly earrings and other private information.
Can he/she take undue advantage of it?
Has anyone encountered some unpleasant experience with their SEO expert? Or if you are a SEO expert,
have you or do you see ways to blackmail and take advantage of your clients?

Please share your opinions.

Hi

First thing to clear out is that you can limit SEO expert  access to back office so can

hide information that you choose. Check http://doc.prestashop.com/display/PS16/Employee+Profiles

and next chapter http://doc.prestashop.com/display/PS16/Profile+permissions.

And for unpleasant experiences yeah fried of mine had problem with one "expert" that used black hat methods and

also used store to promote other websites, so lot of spam. And that got store removed from Google. After that one

other agency, also "experts", tried to repair the damage but they just wasted more time.  At the end friend got job onto

himself and after lot of work, 7-8 tries and lot of email to Google he got site back and it is working fine now.

So choose carefully and my advice is to get someone through someone you know, where you can see work and results done.

One last thing, you need to have bit of trust, not all are going to blackmail and take advantage of clients. 

Hi Razaro,

Thanks for your reply. Yes trust seems to be the key here.

One other thing, you may think I am paranoid, but I was wondering, if a SEO expert could divert payments from sales on the site to his account or someother account somewhere else.

I know that a SEO expert will have access to customer table, so he will no doubt try to collect email addresses and may be sell them to online marketing companies.

I have heard of SEO experts, delaying work or not being very seious in getting results so that the project would last longer.

An seo expert should be able to make a list of improvements that you can make yourself.  Then they would not need access to shop.

El Patron is quite right here.

And yes it is possible to do things you mention, not by just SEO but anyone you give access, like some developer.

But that is why there are restrictions, so you can do not allow access to customers, orders, carts and also payment modules.

Or installing some other modules. What you can just allow is categories, products an SEO&URLs maybe, but like El Patron

said you can do all that yourself, SEO expert can give you list based on front office. 

• Like 1

Thanks El Patron and Razaro. My SEO expert work on many apsects of my site so he constantly needs the access to back-office and also on the server. I think I am going to create anew profil for him and restrict many of his access.

Thanks.

• Like 1