States Dropdown not showing up in address fields when selecting USA

When the country is set to USA in the drop down (for del address) the states don't show (although they should based on my control panel settings).

I noticed the problem I'm experiencing in the bug tracker but can't figure out how to resolve it myself.

In bug tracker it talks about changing the country codes (which I did) but whatever combination of US and USA I use, the drop down still doesn't appear.

Any ideas or can anyone tell me defaults for USA for the following (I've completed as it stands at the moment)?

zone: USA
ISO: US

thanks
Andrew

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there Mary

I can't take credit for fixing the problem -I found someone in the bug section with a similar problem. In my case, the problem was caused by changing the name of the USA category (which didn't automatically change the association with the drop down -which I suppose is a bug) but however many times I changed it back, it made no difference. The guy sent me a message and advised to fix it by running an SQL statement in the database back end (the database table for country) -this was a bit beyond me but I noticed there were multiple entries for USA in the database table:

table ps_country

I manually removed any for USA (some I'd called US I think and the other way round) and just left the numerically lowest one (I think the one you want to leave there is the lowest one, probably #21). This fixed the problem for me but since I'm not a DB expert I can't say whether this is the best way of resolving the problem! Just PM me if you're still stuck and I'll dig out the original email.

• 1 month later...

When I checked the country and state tables, I didn't have any duplicates, so it seems our problems were the same but caused by different things. :-S

I haven't found a solution for this, so I have just been relying on my old webstore (which has no shopping cart at all) and delaying opening my new store which will have this cart and more aggressive advertisement.

I have been able to get all of my products set up and the shipping worked out, but this customer address issue is really holding things up. If anyone has any ideas on what may be causing this or how to fix it, I really appreciate any guidance that may be available!

Thanks!

Mary

I am expecting new inventory for my store soon and unfortunately I still haven't been able to get the new website up and running. I am taking phone orders from my current store because I cannot afford the expense now of paying for a fully setup cart...I am willing to pay someone to help me with the prestashop problem if necessary because I have already added all of my items and worked extensively on setting up my preferences, but now the customer address form is really messed up and I haven't a clue how to fix it!

If anyone has this issue or can help take a look at it, I really need help! Also, I would like the address form to be in the correct order for US addresses as follows:

Name
Address 1
Address 2
City
State
Zip
Country

I am having the same problem. I have tried changing everything to US (without the A) and even checked the ps_country table as explained above (all were US already). I have tried altering the address.tpl in the theme and even playing with the address.php and authentication.php files in the root directory, but to no avail. Nothing is working and nobody can pick the state they live in. In fact, I have to do a search on Google for EVERY SINGLE ORDER to find out the name of the city based on zip code.

I see several posts for help here and they go unanswered. What's going on?

DynaWerx ,

Did you notice if this problem was there when you initially started the store, or if it started after making modifications?

I added all of my products first, then I tested the customer form and it worked correctly with the state drop-down selection box.

After setting up my shipping and handling charges, the state drop-down box no longer appears and nothing I have tried will 're-connect' it to the USA.

I have been waiting a few months for help on this issue, so I'm not sure if it isn't wide-spread enough or if no-one has found a solution yet.

Thanks,

Mary

It was suggested by another user to reinstall Prestashop. I would try that, but at my level at expertise (very low) 8-/ , I'm scared of losing everything I have already accomplished setting up my store. I can't afford the time spent setting up all of my products in the shop.

I haven't went live with my store yet, as I am concerned about the state issue and don't want to have to contact customers or search for the states by zip code.

I desperately need a resolution, as I would like to get the cart running for the holiday sales season.

Again, I appreciate any guidance!

Shortly after installation, I registered a test account and all was fine. After I entered 500+ products and configured EVERYTHING, then about my 10th customer mentioned the problem. So really, it could have happened at any time in between and nearly impossible to pinpoint. I have tried playing around with the code to make something work, but I end up reuploading the original files because nothing seems to work. My biggest concern right now is that I have a completely LIVE site and this problem will not go away. Very frustrating and no help to be found.

Hi MaryRenee,

Well, I seem to have fixed my problem after playing with code for many, many hours and days. Hopefully this will help you.

I started by backing up my files and database. Then, using phpMyAdmin, I deleted all of the US or USA entries in the ps_country table in the database (one by one), except for #21. Then I edited #21 and changed the "deleted" value to 0 (zero).

Then I logged into PrestaShop admin, went to the shipping tab, and found anything that was linked to US or USA in anyway and re-selected US and saved the settings, to ensure that the #21 US in the database was being used. Also be sure to set your default country to US (it may have defaulted back to Australia like mine did after removing the extra database entries).

It seems that if you add new countries or even edit existing countries that new entries are added and then anything that connected with the original entry doesn't work anymore.

I'm not sure what your skill level is as far as editing MySQL databases, so let me know if you need more intricate details. What I did seems to be pretty much the same thing that Andrew did. I was a little nervous about doing it, especially since no developers here seemed willing to even try or offer any advice. But I took the plunge and it worked.