Prestashop 1.6 best, performance focused (VPS) server setup. :D

Server/sys admin can choose from mamy scenarios when setting up 'the perfect' environment for PS 1.6

I'm wondering what is your choice AND WHY for the perfect PS 1.6 server setup

1 Web Server choice:

Apache prefork vs
Apache worker vs
Apache + NGINX as reverse proxy (to serve static content and pass the rest to apache) vs
NGINX (solo without Apache)
some other choice

2 webserver <=> php ("wrappers")
mod_php vs
php fpm vs
HHVM (?compatibility isssues?)
something else

2 DB
MySQL 5 vs
MariaDB vs
Percona
something else

3 Optimization, caches
opcache
APCu
memcached
something else

Share with us your PS server setup in comments, pls.

:D

Server/sys admin can choose from mamy scenarios when setting up 'the perfect' environment for PS 1.6

I'm wondering what is your choice AND WHY for the perfect PS 1.6 server setup

1 Web Server choice:

Apache + NGINX as reverse proxy (to serve static content and pass the rest to apache) 

2 webserver <=> php ("wrappers")

mod_php

2 DB

MySQL 5

3 Optimization, caches

Share with us your PS server setup in comments, pls.

:D

Hum ... these are a loooot of questions... sounds like you want someone to do all the research for you... ?

Maybe I'll post some award winning ready-to-use configuration files, ... what do you think? :P

For the best setup has been involved a lot of time for research, tests and also experience to achieve the best results in some configurations I use for my customers. 

The reality is though, you can't just replicate it 1-to-1 for all the cases as things sometimes also depend on the specific store and it's traffic and generally it's usage case. 

The perfect environment as you call it, is not just a copy-and-paste thing!

Take as example this: Some people swear on nginx and will tell you it's the best one, yet a properly configured apache can absolutely give the same great performance. 

And of course, the server details play an super important role too... just "VPS" is absolutely not enough to give any advise, as example: do you have 384MB or 16GB RAM on yours available?

If you want to the perfect setup, then you won't get it unless you hire a sysadmin expert that has the required experience with Prestashop too. If you need to ask such basic questions for your sysadmin, then I guess he absolutely doesn't have that. You asked for the perfect setup, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but with just installing a specific software it's not done. 

Edited by innovacy (see edit history)

Btw, Apache mpm event + fastcgi-proxy + php-fpm   ;)

That is a setup that most tutorials out there won't dive into as most feature a different setup using Apache's fcgid module, which unfortunately has some drawbacks though regarding opcache sharing and other issues. 

If you run only one site on a server and want to have to fill the php opcache only once and share it with all php threads, the above is the proper way to do it and gives the best performance. 

Fyi, in case you/your admin doesn't know it: a fastcgi-proxy is NOT these .fcgi scripts!

Edited by innovacy (see edit history)

at the end of the day, it's virtual...i.e. you share resources with other domains....and vps is really nothing more than shared hosting with access to features  that you could not control in shared...

sure you can tweak it...but there is nothing one can do to stop from being paged out by other partition...and you won't even know when it happens...

I recommend dedicated...preferably fully managed because to be jack of all trades master of none just means we end up dorking with servers instead of selling products..it just saves money paying for dedicated fully managed just because of the amount of time it takes to be/learn to be webmaster....

my two cents...

happy day, el