Unable to install prestashop due to 500 error

I stupidly tried to upgrade and it killed my site, so I've deleted everything via FTP and uploaded the latest version of PS (also via FTP) but when I try to install it I get a 500 error.

Someone suggested enabling debugging (which I have) but it still only gives me the generic error with no info.

I was alittle skeptical as to enabling the prestashop debugging anyway as it's not even installed yet.

My server logs are not showing anything other than what is shown on the front end vague and useless info about it being a 500 server error.

Anyone got any ideas (that doesn't involve me doing any of the above)?

Create a new directory namely /temporary/ and move all of your prestashop files into it.
then create new files index.php with following content :

<?php
phpinfo();

Ensure there is only directory /temporary/ and file index.php inside /public_html/

/public_html/

------------ /temporary/

------------ index.php

Visit http://your.domain.com/index.php

If you still see 500 server error, then there is something wrong with your server configuration or something wrong with the directory & files permission

Ensure /public_html/ chmod to 755 (recommended) or 775, and index.php chmod to 644 (recommended) or 664

and try visit the index.php again

Still get "500 server error" ?
Maybe your server use suPHP and your configurations are not right.

If there is no error or you can visit and see the content of index.php page, then :
Upload again prestashop file via php, BUT DO NOT extract the zip file on your computer and then upload each files and folder via FTP
You should upload the zip file, then extract/uncompress with file manager provided by your hosting provider or extract via SHH terminal (if you are on vps or dedicated hosting)

After the zip file successfully extracted, you can try to install prestashop again.