Time to upgrade my hosting?

Hi All,

About a year ago I moved my shop from a really bad hosted solution to a new hosting company, I moved everything into a Prestashop install.

Everything was great for a couple of months and my shop was finally making sales.

Then, gradually, things started to slide. Traffic dropped, site speed dropped, orders stopped...

Now I'm experiencing 404 errors almost every time I go into the back office, the site is incredibly slow, sometimes it just won't load up at all and times out. The Wordpress blog is the same and takes forever to load, which tells me this is a hosting issue.

I'm wondering if it's time to uprgade to VPS hosting.

There are now more than 800 products in the shop, and I have a Wordpress blog installed too.

My host has said nothing about upgrading at all and keeps fobbing me off with excuses, and I would have thought they would tell me if this is what's causing all the problems.

So, does anyone know how to find out if it is the fact that it's shared hosting causing all of this? Can anyone tell me difinitively whether it's time to move to a VPS? I don't want to be spending the extra money every month if this isn't going to change anything at all.

Thanks fo any advice you can give.

to me it seems you have out grown you shared hosting and it's time to put the effort into a decent vps.

hopefully this will get you back on track and keep customers engaged with your products.

Thanks for the advice.

I think I'll probably ask them if I can upgrade to the basic VPS and then go from there, hopefully that will let me grow over time.

It would be great if Prestashop could create something to help us make these choices with all the information to hand. I haven't been able to find anything about it and it would probably help a lot of people to understand when it might be time to invest in better hosting.

Thanks again.

zoom zoom

that is what your front office needs to present each and every time.

now SEO has heavy ranking to speed...

here is list of PS hosting that you may want to consider

https://www.prestashop.com/en/ecommerce-hosting

Thanks again, I'll take another look at that later but the fact that Arvixe is on there is a little disconcerting lol

Had business with them for over five years and lets just say I would not recommend them to my worst enemy!

yes hosting interaction can be perplexing.  I pay 200+ USD for 'managed' dedicated so that if I need server change I don't have to put on my webmaster hat, I can simply open a ticket but also the server can power through most native area's that might create slow load on other server types.  Note: once you go vps you will need to learn more expecially about inital setup, i.e. php running fastcgi, php memory etc.  This is why I point you to known supporters of PS.

what I would do is keep shared then obtain vps.  Then download your version of PS and run native install to make sure new hosting supports PS, this is done at installation.  Once you have that sorted then it would be safe to proceed with move of your shop.