Test Site Problems Accessing All Pages

I plan on trying to upgrade from 1.4.8.2. I have followed the instructions from 08/29/2013 about creating a test site first.

Have setup the subdomain and database. I can access the test site BO and the test site's homepage. Clicking the other pages revert back to the main site. I get the following error message:

"Your are currently connected with the following domain name: websitename.com
This one is different from the main shop domain name set in "Preferences > SEO & URLs": testsite.websitename.com.

1. Am I leaving out a step and should I add a subdomain in BO/Tools, will this help?
  2. Does it matter if I call the test site testsite.websitename.com or websitename.com/testsite in Preferences->SEO&URL's in both the Shop domain name and Shop domain name SSL? I am able to access the home page for the test site by typing the address in the address bar but not by clicking the "view my shop" link.
  3. If neither of these works, what could?

Dee Passmore

Am I leaving out a step and should I add a subdomain in BO/Tools, will this help?

Yes, you need to go to SEO and URL page in the back office and change the domain and base URL to match the test site

Does it matter if I call the test site testsite.websitename.com or websitename.com/testsite in Preferences->SEO&URL's in both the Shop domain name and Shop domain name SSL? I am able to access the home page for the test site by typing the address in the address bar but not by clicking the "view my shop" link.

Well this depends, do you have a subdomain configured in your hosting control panel to point to your testsite sub folder?  If you do, then you can use testsite.websitename.com

Alternatively, you can use websitename.com for the domain, and testsite for the base url