500 Error - Premature end of script headers: index.php During Checkout

code-interactive

I'm on 1.6.0.9 shared hosting on Hostgator. I've been getting long load times followed by a 500 error page. The host says it's Premature end of script headers: index.php but that doesn't really tell me anything. 

I've deleted the smarty cache, commented out "SetEnv HTTP_MOD_REWRITE On" in the .htaccess and changed my PHP version to all available and I still get the problem.

The real trouble is that once this happens, I can't access the site at all on that browser until I delete the cookies.

Any suggestions?

Yeah, it's really annoying because the error log on the server doesn't track all the errors and it's very inconsistent. After some thorough troubleshooting, I was able to resolve that this type of error could be any number of different errors. For me it was running a function on the cart in the UPS shipping module. I guess the server couldn't handle that code and timed out or something.

Here's what I did to resolve it: http://thestateofart.com/get-order-total-in-ups-shipping-module-for-prestashop/

But this probably won't help others with server errors. I recommend switching out code that has been changed from the approved modules until it works and narrowing down the troubleshooting that way.