Install issues with Hostgator

Hi..

Big problems installing on a hostgator reseller account and wondered if anyone else has had same issues. Uploaded files and chmoded the listed ones to 777. Created database. go to url for install and I come up with a 500 error. I also have had same issues with trying to get magento to work which was why I have moved across to prestashop after it being recommended to us.

So..any ideas?

Are the permissions right for Hostgator? With Magento we were informed that they should be 755 not 777. Anything else we should consider before we give up in total frustration and revert back to one of the older carts we know we can use...not the desired option as I love the clean modern feel of Prestashop

Thanks

Hostgator has PHPsuexec on pretty much all of their servers now. It prohibits the use of 777 file permissions. If any folders or files are set that way, you'll get a 500 server error.

Any time you install a dynamic script of ANY kind, which calls for 777 CHMOD, just ignore it. In general, you won't have to set any file permissions at all, because folders default to 755 anyway when they are uploaded, and virtually all scripts will run just fine in a PHPsuexec environment with file permissions set to 755, even if the instructions call for 777.

Once you know that, it saves you a ton of time installing and setting up dynamic scripts!

Hope that helps you!

Laura
Firelight Web Studio