Errors Related to Tools.php

Been working on a site on and off for the past year and recently noticed that when I click Categories in BO, I get a blank page.  So I enabled debugging and the error that shows is this:

Fatal error: Call to undefined method Tools::getDescriptionClean() in /home/username/public_html/shop/controllers/admin/AdminCategoriesController.php on line 789

I also noticed now, with debugging on, for every page of the FO, I have the following error at the top about 40 times:

Warning: trim() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /home/username/public_html/shop/classes/Tools.php on line 1140

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?  Both errors seem to have something to do with Tools.  I have not modified anything in Tools.php.  Running Prestashop 1.6.0.9. 

Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks!

Alex

Not modified at all? It can't be dying all of a sudden if you didn't upgrade any file.

Add this to the tools class

public static function getDescriptionClean($description)
{
return strip_tags(stripslashes($description));
}

Not modified at all? It can't be dying all of a sudden if you didn't upgrade any file.

Add this to the tools class

public static function getDescriptionClean($description)
{
return strip_tags(stripslashes($description));
}

Thanks, Nemo1!

I promise I didn't modify the tools.php file myself directly.  Would a module being installed and/or enabled cause changes in the file?  Where would I need to add that code?  

I went back and re-downloaded PS 1.6.0.9 and used Diffmerge to compare a clean Tools.php with what I had.  I found that a lot of code (24 instances) in my version had been deleted. Very specific things, like "Tools::" was deleted from the line 

return Tools::strtolower(trim(preg_replace('/([A-Z][a-z])/', '_$1', $string), '_'));

And many other instances of "Tools::" being removed.  Also, just large chunks of code were missing.  Very strange.  I hope modules wouldn't make those kinds of changes.  

As a test, I went ahead and swapped the fresh Tools.php for my old one, but that didn't seem to solve the problem exactly.  I cleared cache using the button in BO and turned on force recompile, but I'm still getting the following on every page in FO:

Warning: trim() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /home/hilus3/public_html/shop/classes/Tools.php on line 1141

And now in BO, I can get into the Categories menu option with no issue, but when I click on a Product, the Short Description and Description fields are not there.  The label for them is, but there is just white where there used to be a field.  

Any help or advise is much appreciated. 

Thanks!

Alex