PrestaShop Orders Not Completing, PayPal being charged.

I don't know if this belongs here or in the PayPal forum because I don't know what's causing the problem, but I've been struggling these past few days with a bug where customers will go to checkout, pay with PayPal (which works just fine, their balance is deducted and I receive an e-mail detailing their order) but PrestaShop will not finish the order on the back end. Their order never shows up in the orders list, their customer account shows no order history, and no stock is removed from the inventory.

I'm a new PrestaShop user so I don't know what error logs to post here (or where to find them) but I am on PrestaShop 1.6.1.0 and I'm using the PayPal USA/Canada module version 1.3.8 if that helps.

From what I've seen it doesn't generate a visible error message, and I've only been able to replicate it under certain circumstances. It happens most often when a customer registers an account, but doesn't add a default address and then attempts to place an order.

to show errors, assuming you can re-create:

https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/224525-how-to-turn-on-error-reporting-for-debug-information-blank-page-500-internal-server-error/

honestly?  I've not seen this solved in the forum, it is 98% of the time an empty order status error...but that may be different for you.  If you can recreate but not fix yourself I'd post in the job section because these are terribly difficult to resolve via forum.  Let's see what the error  message is first.