Any way to use html/css within settings input boxes?

Specifically:  Back Office -> Catalog -> Products -> [product] -> Quantities -> Displayed text when in-stock.

I have a lot to say there, but it is UGLY when displayed on screen, so I thought of using something like a CSS tool-tip so the user can hover over "backordered" and get more details on what that means.  But that involves being able to a) input more than the 255 char limit (we're not working on 8-bit microcontrollers, so why in the world is it limited to 255?) and B) input some markup!

Any way to do it? Or else any suggestions how I can achieve same?

Edited by bcsteeve (see edit history)

If I were in you, I'd just add some normal text and move the tooltip logic over to product.tpl, around line 216 (1.6.1), where you have this

<span id="availability_value" class="label{if $product->quantity <= 0 && !$allow_oosp} label-danger{elseif $product->quantity <= 0} label-warning{else} label-success{/if}">{if $product->quantity <= 0}{if $PS_STOCK_MANAGEMENT && $allow_oosp}{$product->available_later}{else}{l s='This product is no longer in stock'}{/if}{elseif $PS_STOCK_MANAGEMENT}{$product->available_now}{/if}</span>

While that makes for a reasonable hack... logic in a template file?  Ummm... that sort of flies in the face of a template based system.

Beyond that though, I struggled for almost TEN freakin hours today and in the end got nowhere.  This [#$*)@#*@#] software seemed like it was well documented when I first came over, but now I'm seeing it lacks the detail to get anywhere fast!  I mean really, ten hours and I never managed to get a javascript library loaded and called and displayed.  I'm so frustrated.  I realize its my not understanding, but I'm not an idiot, nor am I new this this stuff.  Rusty, sure, but really all I need is some straight forward documentation WITHOUT ALL THE GAPS.  Something that clearly tells me where to put what to get it to work!

Tooltips. Who knew that would cost me an entire day's work.

edit:  I should note in my whining that I know I could have hacked it to work.  But I'm attempting to keep things manageable in the long wrong.  I was forced to hack together my zen-cart shop and it ended up getting 3 years worth of versions behind because the hacks were a nightmare to upgrade. 

Edited by bcsteeve (see edit history)